Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. I'm looking to purchase a new cordless drills kit. I've been out of the game a while and I need feedback. Right now my options are DeWalt, Mikita, Milwaukee, Rigid, and Bosch. I need the most bang for my buck. I need to make up my mind by January. (Ps: I've been looking at the 2 drill combo kits because there seems to be some OK deals. Preferably the hammer drill and impact driver kit).

Please help.
THANK YOU

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,578 Posts
I like Makita. Others will have different opinions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Dewalt 18v stuff is durable as all hell and the circular saw and cordless nail guns are great. The batteries are a bit heavy and oversized but the lithium ion ones are a big improvement.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Go and try some out, I use Hilti and love it, but all the major names are good and have a great following...stick with the decent stuff though, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, etc...don't cave to the prices of Ryobi, etc...unless you're gonna use it for one job and put it in the pile of never again to use tools...but let's be honest, if that's who you are, you wouldn't be here!

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
Consider the whole line of tools when you make the move.

You may eventually want a cordless sawzall or circular saw or other accessory that share the batteries.

Over time, with the bare tools are about $100 each it makes sense to get a handle on what other tools might complement the drill purchase.

·
American
118 Posts
Last time I was in Lowes they had the Dewalt 18 volt with 2 battery's on sale for 86 bucks. That's like getting 10 bucks off on the battery's and a free drill.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Last time I was in Lowes they had the Dewalt 18 volt with 2 battery's on sale for 86 bucks. That's like getting 10 bucks off on the battery's and a free drill.
I saw those. If you look closely on the packaging it's new old stock. They're actually still peddling those with ni-cads, at least here in our area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We love the bosch driver/impactors. Good power, fast charge. My downside we've found is bosch don't make a lot of different cordless tools in comparison to the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Consider the whole line of tools when you make the move.

You may eventually want a cordless sawzall or circular saw or other accessory that share the batteries.

Over time, with the bare tools are about $100 each it makes sense to get a handle on what other tools might complement the drill purchase.
X2

For better or worse, you have to pick a brand and stick with it or you will end up with half a dozen incompatible batteries and chargers. When I buy a new tool, I buy the 'kit' that includes batteries and charger. Now I have so many chargers I just leave one anywhere I'm working and I don't have to remember to bring a charger each time.

Personally, I have chosen Milwaukee. Back in the day I chose them because they were one of the few companies that had all metal gear boxes (still do).

I have been happy with the tools but the batteries (NiCads) have had less than stellar longevity. I have had better luck with NiMH and lithium batteries. Fortunately, the M18 chargers will charge both NiCad and NiMH. Not all company's chargers will do this.

Milwaukee has a very wide selection of cordless tools and they seem to be interested in making a quality product. They were one of the first US companies to sell tools with brushless motors (I believe FESTOOL was the first in the world, only $460 for a drill :eek:).

Take a look at the new Milwaukee M12 FUEL tools. These are brushless motors and lithium batteries. They are MUCH lighter than the 18-volt tools and have 90% of the power. Do a web search and you will find very positive reviews. These will be my next investment.

Choose the M12 only for the drill/drivers (or the nifty heated jacket!). If you want a cordless sawzall (Milwaukee trademark BTW), cordless angle grinder, or cordless circular saw, you will have to go with the M18 line.

And if you happen to go to Europe, AEG tools use the same battery as the M18 tools:laughing:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I love my bosch 18v, drill/impact is used very frequently (frequently abused) and still works. Li-ion tools I have are drill, saw, impact, sawzall, flashlight, and radio. I hear makita is good too, if I didnt have bosch already I would look at them too.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
johncon said:
X2 For better or worse, you have to pick a brand and stick with it or you will end up with half a dozen incompatible batteries and chargers. When I buy a new tool, I buy the 'kit' that includes batteries and charger. Now I have so many chargers I just leave one anywhere I'm working and I don't have to remember to bring a charger each time. Personally, I have chosen Milwaukee. Back in the day I chose them because they were one of the few companies that had all metal gear boxes (still do). I have been happy with the tools but the batteries (NiCads) have had less than stellar longevity. I have had better luck with NiMH and lithium batteries. Fortunately, the M18 chargers will charge both NiCad and NiMH. Not all company's chargers will do this. Milwaukee has a very wide selection of cordless tools and they seem to be interested in making a quality product. They were one of the first US companies to sell tools with brushless motors (I believe FESTOOL was the first in the world, only $460 for a drill :eek:). Take a look at the new Milwaukee M12 FUEL tools. These are brushless motors and lithium batteries. They are MUCH lighter than the 18-volt tools and have 90% of the power. Do a web search and you will find very positive reviews. These will be my next investment. Choose the M12 only for the drill/drivers (or the nifty heated jacket!). If you want a cordless sawzall (Milwaukee trademark BTW), cordless angle grinder, or cordless circular saw, you will have to go with the M18 line. And if you happen to go to Europe, AEG tools use the same battery as the M18 tools:laughing:
Milwaukee is owned by TTI, which is a Chinese company. Same with AEG. The old V18 line was backwards compatible with the NiCd platform. The newer M18 is not.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The old V18 line was backwards compatible with the NiCd platform. The newer M18 is not.
Who uses non lion batteries anymore? OK, I still see a few people dragging around the strangest things..... ;)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,578 Posts
Working in the cold weather is better with non Li-Ion

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I guess then there could be a use. Never saw that as when it gets cold, I look for some cushy inside job.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts