Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been a sub-contractor for 10 years but recently have decided to look for my own renovation siding contracts. As a sub-contractor I have been earning $0.80-0.90 psq. in Western Canada. My question is how much I should charge for Renovations as a Contractor? I'm looking into this option so I want to start educating myself in how the Contractor position works. What extra fees to include, info on bidding etc.... If you have any information it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i would like to suggest, the pricing estimating and success thread in the business forum, real good stuff:thumbsup:i see from the date that you didn't get a more timely response, but i think it would be good for all pricing questions to be sent to that thread first. just my two cents,

·
Contractor
4,674 Posts
wow-you've got prices down to the square inch? How much does one 1 1/2" nail cost?

extra fees include your overhead-I suggest you figure out how much it costs to operate and determine rates-as will others on the board. It's unlikely you'll get responses from people who will (or can) quote rates for Western Canada.

When I started out, I submitted bids by compiling every single item it would take to complete the job, then included labor, overhead, and a little extra for fudge room. Learn from your mistakes-which means go back original calculations to see how far you were off.

·
Sean
5,482 Posts
Wow, how did we miss this one, maybe we were being nice...

Get Michael Stones book on Markup & Profit - no one here can give you an accurate price as each company is different.

:censored:, .8 to .9 per sqr Inch - 115.2 per square foot 11,520 per square - This is one case where I would have no problem undercutting you by 10% - maybe even 50% and retiring in a couple of years

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Hi, I have been a sub-contractor for 10 years but recently have decided to look for my own renovation siding contracts. As a sub-contractor I have been earning $0.80-0.90 psq. in Western Canada. My question is how much I should charge for Renovations as a Contractor? I'm looking into this option so I want to start educating myself in how the Contractor position works. What extra fees to include, info on bidding etc.... If you have any information it would be much appreciated.

Thats price per square IN western Canada. Not inch, its a preposition expressing where this price is being payed. I assume he is referring to square foot, since $.80 a square is even less then the illegals are payed.

·
Sean
5,482 Posts
That's hopefully what you have been charging per square foot, not a typical square (100 SF).

Have you been doing new construction only? If so remodel / renovations take a lot longer. The GC was tacking on anywhere from 5 - 20% on top of your rate - as he is ultimately responsible for making sure you did your job properly. I would add on that amount to help cover increased advertising, liability, estimating and bid preparation, etc...

·
contractor
1 Posts
what to charge

I am also from the south jersey area. Are you looking to sub or sell and do your own work. Are you a license contractor with the state. Shoot me an email at [email protected] com maybe we can get together. If I can help you out, I will

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.