Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do most of you guys do? Ive always wrapped the house using felt then put the windows. Flashing the windows on top of the house wrap. Also saw guys put the windows and window flashing right to the plywood then put the house wrap on around the windows. I like doing it before so I can wrap the house wrap into the jambs of the windows.

·
General Contractor
149 Posts
For aluminum or vinyl windows, the industry standard for window installation is AAMA 2400-02 "Standard Practice for Installation of Windows with a Mounting Flange in Stud Frame Construction"

http://pro.milgard.com/_doc/products/installation/pdf/aama-2400-02.pdf

Out here in production housing, the windows are set by the framer so from a sequencing standpoint, the widows are set and flashed first then the building wrap is installed by the stucco sub. You don't see too much Tyvek or other "house wraps" out here, it's still building paper. Regardless of sequence, you still need to make sure the lapping is done in a weatherboard fashion to insure any moisture is directed to the exterior of the wall rather than the wall cavity. The problem with pre-wrapping the wall is that you don't get your building paper/wrap over the head and jamb flashing like the AAMA standard requires (Figure 6 in the pdf).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I usually cut the felt at the top on a angle then tape it up out of the way. Then flash the top and then fold the paper back down and tape the angle cut in the felt..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts