Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you expect or demand in a contract with regards to spray-readiness on a new contruction job?

Is it expected of a painting contractor to spend the first day, all day, vacuuming a job after drywall install, and finishing? I'm talking drywall chunks, and 1/4" or more of dust everywhere...
I've dealt with n.c. jobs where the the place would be vacuumed beforehand or would it was taken care of when I told the g-c there was no way I could spray...

Either way, "broom-swept" is a loose term, at best.

How do you deal with drywall contractor delays, post-primer?

For instance, if the dw contractor has to go over their work and refinish 30 plus percent of their seams and etc, how do you deal with the additional priming? No one is gonna cry over a roll here and there, but what is the threshold? Is this something to include in the contract (obviously) or do you issue a change order?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was under the impression that "paint ready" means level 4 drywall finish primed.

·
vandy
266 Posts
ideally (lol)

metal surface: rust free and clean (light sand only)

drywall: should not be turned over to you until finishing is ready for paint/prime. (reject any type of "you paint it you bought it premise")
you need to shift as much of the liability from yourself to the GC.

work conditions: areas are to be reasonably clean and properly lit. (not spotless, but prior trades are to clean up their messes)

*if you have to create these conditions (surfaces/ work areas/ conditions) that are supposed to be provided by the GC, you will create them on a T&M basis.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ideally (lol)

metal surface: rust free and clean (light sand only)

drywall: should not be turned over to you until finishing is ready for paint/prime. (reject any type of "you paint it you bought it premise")
you need to shift as much of the liability from yourself to the GC.

work conditions: areas are to be reasonably clean and properly lit. (not spotless, but prior trades are to clean up their messes)

*if you have to create these conditions (surfaces/ work areas/ conditions) that are supposed to be provided by the GC, you will create them on a T&M basis.

That makes perfect sense, I'll add some of these specs to the next commercial job contract.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Remind the drywall guys that what your job entails, and ask them to clean up better. I usually visit the site before we start and love it when I get to talk to em.

Paint ready to me after finish would be floors scraped and vac but it depends on who is doing the work.

I would always bring some brooms dustpans and shop vacs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to tell these drywall to switch from a 100 grit to a fine medium block yesterday. Infuriating.
WE ARE USING EGSHELL FOR THE FINISH...
You can't use a sanding pole with 100 grit... jeez.

These guys don't vacuum or clean anything.

My shop-vacs are crying.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
In your contract with the GC you need to list your terms for what is acceptable to you, if he agrees and signs it, and the conditions are not as specified, let him know he needs to get the jobsite ready for you or it will be a change order for you to do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You only get to complain if the gc needs you or you don't need him. Otherwise you should get to sweeping because that floor aint going to sweep itself.

So true, but you shouldn't let them walk on you. Remember it is a relationship whether new are just begining, and for it to work it has to be beneficial for both/all parties. The best sub-contractors working for me are the ones who notify me (actualy the project manager) of situations such as this so that it does not happen the next time. It sounds like the drywall contractor is skating on some responsibilities or the GC is a turn and burn type that you are probably better off not working for. The bottom line is your specifications of the work. Is it included in your scope or not? If not then it is a change order.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So true, but you shouldn't let them walk on you. Remember it is a relationship whether new are just begining, and for it to work it has to be beneficial for both/all parties. The best sub-contractors working for me are the ones who notify me (actualy the project manager) of situations such as this so that it does not happen the next time. It sounds like the drywall contractor is skating on some responsibilities or the GC is a turn and burn type that you are probably better off not working for. The bottom line is your specifications of the work. Is it included in your scope or not? If not then it is a change order.
The drywall contractor tried to get everything fixed. He wasn't happy with the sub work. When he got there the place was clean...

G-C has brought in quality guys (electricians, millwork), I just need to spec better from the onset. Accepting "broom swept" as an answer is an invitation to be spending a full day cleaning 3 sanded coats of drywall dust and miscellaneous debris. There are plenty of other contractors out there and I wasn't going to walk in like a prima donna, demanding a dustfree work zone...

All things considered, I'm ahead of schedule and allowing the g-c to move the other trades along. We will work this out, and in the future I'll be sure to tweak my contract to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i have a drywall sub (currently still use) who skim coated an entire 2 family home for me. They used a porter cable sanding machine WITHOUT a vac attachment. Wholly mother of God, DUST everywhere! in mountains! and get this, they didnt even wear a mask!

It gets better.

I called the boss and complained, he called the guys, the guys went to the truck and got the vac out!

lol

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
i have a drywall sub (currently still use) who skim coated an entire 2 family home for me. They used a porter cable sanding machine WITHOUT a vac attachment. Wholly mother of God, DUST everywhere! in mountains! and get this, they didnt even wear a mask!

It gets better.

I called the boss and complained, he called the guys, the guys went to the truck and got the vac out!

lol
Omg That would make my head EXPLODE!

·
Semi retired/ Over worked
58 Posts
In your contract with the GC you need to list your terms for what is acceptable to you, if he agrees and signs it, and the conditions are not as specified, let him know he needs to get the jobsite ready for you or it will be a change order for you to do it.
As a GC I never sign a Sub Contractors contract, they sign my Contract!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts