Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Reg said:
Laborers are paid roughly $12 an hour to do that. I would be a bit worried your price may have to complete with that.
And the last couple days the laborer a have nothing else to do but clean anyways, I'm going to feed my employees before someone else's.

I could work in some spec developments though.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I would start with a window distributor. Window guys around here make money by being fast not clean. All the ones I know hate peeling stickers off pella windows and hate, hate, hate cleaning them. Customers hate paying for Windows that are dirty when the job is done.

Better idea; sign up for Angie's list and read the reviews of prospective leads. When, not if, you find reviews about poor cleanup, print them and walk into the office and pitch the office manager or person that answers the phone. My office manager loses her mind when people complain and knows that if she brings me a problem I am going to ask her opinion on the fix.

Call smaller companies, 3 crews or less, and offer your services. The two biggest ways I waste money on small jobs are debris removal and final cleanup. I'd pay 200 bucks if you could come to my small jobs and haul off 3 yards of shingles, pick the old tar paper out of the mulch beds, sweep for nails and blow off the driveway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
get to know the higher end builders in your area send a cover letter then set up a meeting with them to go over your services and your flat rate per sq ft.
i use your typ of services on all new builds and most larger remodels at about .40 per sq ft of finished area the gal that i use dose it part time as she is retired good luck:eek::thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
What market are you in? Meaning what location....

Every market is different in how things are done. I would get some cards and hit the job sites, the local trade shops, and all that. Remember, if your hunting work your not busy....if your not busy that can throw a flag to the GC's and builders. Approach as if you are out bidding another job in the area and just stopped by for a minute out of your extremely busy day. Once you prove yourself you should not have to approach another person as they will already have heard of you and be calling. Quality work, good pricing, and showing up when your supposed to...Keep that in mind always.

Best wishes on your start up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Before I started doing remodeling I did construction cleaning..while it is profitable when u have the work u must be able to survive through the lean times. It will be difficult for you to do construction cleaning and only construction cleaning. Once a job is finished you need to be able to move onto the next and most of the time there is not another job that needs this type of cleaning for awhile. Tough to keep your business afloat that way especially when you have many many cleaners willing to do this work for next to nothing..good luck to you as this is a very tough business to keep alive.

·
Registered
917 Posts
WBailey1041 said:
I would start with a window distributor. Window guys around here make money by being fast not clean. All the ones I know hate peeling stickers off pella windows and hate, hate, hate cleaning them. Customers hate paying for Windows that are dirty when the job is done. Better idea; sign up for Angie's list and read the reviews of prospective leads. When, not if, you find reviews about poor cleanup, print them and walk into the office and pitch the office manager or person that answers the phone. My office manager loses her mind when people complain and knows that if she brings me a problem I am going to ask her opinion on the fix. Call smaller companies, 3 crews or less, and offer your services. The two biggest ways I waste money on small jobs are debris removal and final cleanup. I'd pay 200 bucks if you could come to my small jobs and haul off 3 yards of shingles, pick the old tar paper out of the mulch beds, sweep for nails and blow off the driveway. Good luck.

I subbed for Pella for a while, nothing worse than peeling stickers and cleaning after long days of installing windows

·
Registered
797 Posts
Once a job is finished you need to be able to move onto the next and most of the time there is not another job that needs this type of cleaning for awhile.
Good point. Maybe add some other services to go along with it. Delivering stuff from one job site to another or from the store to the job site. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
30,074 Posts
I got my cleaning company from the HBA. I only use them at the end of the project for the final clean and windows. On remodels they will even wash dishes that are in the cabinets for me, as on a large remodel they may of been sitting idle in the cabinets for months, and even with plastic covering the cabinets, its a good idea.

They get a lot of work from my clients as well after my completion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts