Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advise on installation of new carperting. Would anyone be able to help?
- Should we install baseboard molding prior to installation of carpet? How do you determine height to install it at?
- Any prep work what is suggested for installation onto cement?

Thanks gang...I'm new to this forum and hope to learn a lot here.
:Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My carpet guy likes the base 3/8" off of the floor, I never asked why.
Concrete should be scraped to remove any boogers like drywall mud and I always vacuum with a shopvac. It keeps the dust down as opposed to sweeping.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
You have 3 choices:

Install it after the carpet, install it before the carpet, with the baseboard on the slab and butt the carpet up to it. (You see this in rental properties because it is more user friendly for frequent carpet replacements), or last to install before and leave a space. 3/8 is typical, but it depends on the carpet and pad thickness really.

I prefer to install the base board last if it was my house for the nicest finished look.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, carpet breathes and can pass the moisture through it.
Nice jab though. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't see a benefit in installing the base last. Other than it can be sloppier at the edges.

Leaving the base raised off the floor allows the carpet to be tucked underneeth it. Helps some installers get a clean edge. But a good installer can do it with the base tight to the floor. Given a choice I'd say install it first with a gap no reletive to the thickness of the carpet, starting at 3/8 inch.

Installing the base last can cause problems with replacement of the carpet. If the installer is not smart enough, he won't make adjustments to the gully size(distance from the tackstrip and the wall) and your base could end up sandwiching the carpet and tackstrip. This makes base remocval neccassary you want to pull up the carpet someday.

Are you installing this yourself(cring) or hiring a pro?

Don

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
installing last could increase the possibility of the tack strip being installed too close. so when the base goes on it will "pinch" the carpet.
tough to get the carpet back up in the future.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When I'm outside of my realm, I just do what I'm told.
Cliff says he likes 3/8", Cliff gets 3/8". It's all that I need to know about carpet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts