Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the new less expensive cabinet hinges. The hinge pins (one top,one bottom) are threaded but have no point to use a screwdriver on top. The pins work their way loose and fall out!! Please help me with this dilemma..

Thank you,
Rick

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I prefer LocTite 271 (red). Apply with a saturated Q-Tip. Hit it a couple of times within 10 mins. Green is for bearings on shafts. Want more details on LocTite? I attend a couple of seminars a year and have current books on file. Great products!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,626 Posts
Sorry Teetorbilt :confused: , I was using the Permatex brand. The green version is penetrating so you don't have to take things apart. Just apply it to the joint between the pin and the barrel and it will seep in and lock it for you. The green is also one of their weaker strengths so you can get it off easier than you would with the red loctite, if you need to service the door in the future.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Leo, your type just got very small, hard for these old eyes to read. IMHO the 271 is over-rated. I've been using it exclusively for 15 yrs. and never had a problem breaking the bond. It will penetrate as well, maybe just not as far up the threads. A touch of heat, such as from a soldering iron, destroys the bond. Loctite aquired Permatex in 1972. All same salt, more better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured some Loctite would be great for keeping the hinge pins in, however I'm not sure how to get the pins back in the hinge? Do you have to take the hinge off (apart).....Not done this before and looking for help.

Teetorbilt said:
Leo, your type just got very small, hard for these old eyes to read. IMHO the 271 is over-rated. I've been using it exclusively for 15 yrs. and never had a problem breaking the bond. It will penetrate as well, maybe just not as far up the threads. A touch of heat, such as from a soldering iron, destroys the bond. Loctite aquired Permatex in 1972. All same salt, more better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts