Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently developing business plans, quality control plans, safety manuals, and operation manuals for a new company that will go in business at the end of 2005. This is in a different state than I currently live in.
I am thinking of putting up a website now with some philosophies and services that will be offered.. with maybe a resume of each of the principles. The cover story will state the expected introduction of the company and maybe an explanation of certain aspects of the way we build. Do you think this is a good idea? In my way of thinking I don't think it could hurt. I was thinking of also releasing a newspaper ad and a radio ad about 3-4 months before the company actually goes active. The architect we are forming the company with is located in the area so he could begin designs and such before the actual equipment and stuff gets in the area.
Any other thoughts?
I am attempting to get a name for the company now so the domain name somewhat matches.. and then optimizing the pages. Maybe get some hits early on.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The web site couldn't hurt to be there sooner waiting for you.

why advertise 3-4 months BEFORE you are ready for customers?

As you are aware I recently registered my Inc. I did my web site registration at the exact same time because if you wait you WILL lose your site to someone else.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because we are marketing as a design / build firm. And the architect is there already. 3-4 months is about typical design time for documents to be completed - depending on the client. I would do the website now and pay a small fee to the state to get the business name reserved until I incorporate.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hatchet I did alot of research into hot buttons for customers. I then took some popular hot buttons and put them together. Many people name their businesses after themselves and I think this is a bad business strategy unless you already happen to be well known in the industry, like Bob Vila for example. Mr. Vila could name a company Bob Vila & Associates or Bob Vila Construction and be very successful. If I were to say Grumpy's Roofing, people would ask who grumy is and why they should do business with him.

I would do some research into why your customers buy your products, who your customer is etc... and then name your company based on that. It also depends upon your specific area.

I named my Company: (Edited). Reliability is very important and I've found that many of my existing customers enjoy the fact that I can speak english, and communicate very well, unlike some of my smaller competitors. Also at these times of terrorism people are very patriotic and my name alone will play into their emotions.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
hatchet said:
I am currently developing business plans, quality control plans, safety manuals, and operation manuals for a new company that will go in business at the end of 2005. This is in a different state than I currently live in.
Why wait so long?
Why not start the business now or in 6 months?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The biggest thing is finances. If I work at my current job for the next 18-24 months I'll have quite a bit saved up. And that is when my partner will be getting his license.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Same here hatchet. I don't even have a personal vehicle since I use a company truck. THis is probably the main reason I haven't gon on my own. I would really like to have 20k saved, or 20k between cash and equipment when I start my business.

Why 20k? Well this is because I have spent the last 6 months building a spreadsheet of EVERY penny I will have to spend, and then added 10% and rounded it up. It came to be 20k.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I only needed 20k. Looking at some of the things I want to do I'm in the range of around 50k and if I want to be official on licenses for software I'm probably in the 60k range.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
But Hatchet, I'm looking at the type of business model that is at a site for only a few days. I am willing to bet you are looking at a model that is macro building.

I could go higher or lower but for that 20k I only choose what I considered to be necessary. There is a seperate column for optionals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts