Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new contracting bus. though my steady clients i have sub me out to do the lathing 80% of the time. I have more work then i can handle just from two steady clients, and need a helper but not float to pay them with. I have my bus. number, and have just started receiving cheques through my new bus. What are a few recommended first steps for a new contractor that maybe looking back you wish youd taken early on, or some common mistakes made by new people coming in?

Thanks!

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Not charging enough

Thinking overhead was wayyyy less then it actually is.

Charging half of what I should have

Not bringing in guys early enough

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,641 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
Not charging enough Thinking overhead was wayyyy less then it actually is. Charging half of what I should have Not bringing in guys early enough
I have to agree with you. My biggest mistake was not charging enough. I absolutely don't make that mistake anymore. I've always said if their not crying just a little bit my price is too low. I'd rather sit at home and make nothing then go to work and lose money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. At this point price is not a concern. I was handed over my clients and the same pricing will be grandfathered over now that i took over. I have a higher square ft price for any other company that i work with. So that being said, what other advice other than pricing concerns. Ive been looking at quick books contractor. As a brand new vompany should i bother with such detail as a one/two man show?
But yeah, ill take all advice, of course

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Ive been looking at quick books contractor. As a brand new vompany should i bother with such detail as a one/two man show?
But yeah, ill take all advice, of course
ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!!!

...and get an accountant.

Don't crank out the paperwork "by hand".

I made that mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts