Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make a quick little post saying to the guys like me out there that have recently started out full time on their own. I recently sold a framing job for a week. Great! Sold a composite front porch, awesome! Now a customer from the past wants another week of work from me. He isn't even taking other quotes. Could this week get any better?

I don't have any employees, and I have heard you guys say it's either feast or famine. Well, I am worried about the winter. And I know 3 weeks isn't too much to brag about either. But I am ecstatic!

Work hard, work even harder, and things will fall into place.:thumbup:

-Dustin

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool man!

It is a great feeling.

...and in those 3 weeks, the phone may keep ringing.
Yep. I already have two more quotes in the works.

People really can tell when you are desperate for work so I am playing it cool and confident and its paying off.

Oshawa and whitby is doing good, but there is still a high percentage of tire kickers and time wasters. Sunk hours into a basement finish quote that was a referral in north Whitby, but they ended up going with a 'friend of the family' who no doubt will hack it up. Their loss.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Word of advice. Take your extra money and pay your utilities through the winter, if you can pay ahead on your mortgage or rent. It makes waiting by the phone tolerable when you dont have to sit in a cold unlit room. If you work through the winter great, if not you already have the wood stacked up.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
good luck and enjoy the feast. Been busy myself this yr and to be honest i am glad it has slowed down a bit. My helper left for a better job with benefits/retirement so i have been scrambling to keep up. I took 4 days off now since the end of March, been working 7 days a week with 10-14hr days. Got to the point i lost several small jobs as folks didnt want to wait and i am still behind on finishing several large estimates. As others have mentioned pay off some bills early if possible to make the slow times easier on your wallet and your mind. This yr i will have all my insurances paid in full, child support will finally end in September, and i hope to have my cell phone and trash dumpster paid at least 3 months in advance and the oil barrel full before i take my vacation mid September.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,778 Posts
Word of advice. Take your extra money and pay your utilities through the winter, if you can pay ahead on your mortgage or rent. It makes waiting by the phone tolerable when you dont have to sit in a cold unlit room. If you work through the winter great, if not you already have the wood stacked up.
That's great advice. Pay yourself ahead while it's feast, you'll thank us later.

Congrats on having some work banked.

When I see 3 weeks worth of work, I start freaking out & praying the phone will ring.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
It's funny how we get excited about being booked for 3 weeks. For 15 years I was booked a minimum 3 months and up to a year, then the economy went poo poo.

I'm booked for about 3 months now but I don't have 10 contracts sitting on my desk like I'm used to. Take all the advice given here. The one thing I seem to be dealing with these days is trying to figure out if I'm wasting my time estimating to be undercut by low bids or the family friend/fireman, etc. that does it on the side.

There seems to be more people looking for nothing but the bottom dollar than one's reputation and quality of work.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I will take it all to heart. My wife has a good paying job and she is doing her Masters degree at the same time, but I am in no way planning on relying on her. We are both kind of workaholics.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats on the early success. Slow times will come when you least expect so prepare accordingly. Having a spouse with an income is nice. My wife had a good job for years and it helped us keep rolling when we needed, but she lost it last year. I have managed so far to keep up our lifestyle but it is very worrisome at times.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I will take it all to heart. My wife has a good paying job and she is doing her Masters degree at the same time, but I am in no way planning on relying on her. We are both kind of workaholics.
Workaholic? Youll do fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts