Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I'm starting a basement job and looking for suggestions on a floor. It is about 1000 sq ft has linoleum over concrete we are ripping up to level out a few spots especially around a drain we have to raise a little. The house is a older house in St. Louis has some moisture around bottom of walls but nothing major at all. They have 2 dogs kids and this will be a playroom and game room floor so want something on the waterproof side and I was recommended the traffic master allure ultra floor. I've never put this floor together so wondering how well it locks if there are any tricks I should know or I there is a better floor I should go with. The only other thing I thought may work for this job is a floating cork floor. Haven't priced that out yet. Thank you for your help and suggestions happy new year!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Welcome to ContractorTalk! Head on over to the Introductions forum and introduce yourself - tell us about your business a little. I did check out your profile, and you appear to be a real contractor, which is a surprise, because a first post like this usually comes from a DIYer looking for free advice from pros.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The finishes you put down should depend on how dry the basement will be. If it's going to be damp, then put down the H.D. vinyl floor and let the kids and dogs have their fun. If it's meant to be a true family room, and they don't want it to smell like the basement, then give them a budget number for dealing with the moisture. I wouldn't put down cork or anything else natural without dealing with the moisture.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
I haven't installed any Allure, but have read a lot of complaints about it. Check out the DIY Chatroom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your response I sure will go to the introduction section and write up about my company. I decided today to just sign up since I realized every time I have a question this site seemed to have a post about it and maybe I can help answer other questions along the way. As for the basement not a true family room. The end product will have almost an old industrious feel, the ceilings are concrete with concrete beams running along them and pipes and ductwork are exposed so we just decide to paint everything white and run exposed duct work and conduit for electric to keep the character of it, chipped out mortor and tuck pointed all the old limestone foundation to keep original feel going to seal it with a breathable sealer... Some walls are drywall added a bathroom but overall feel will be rustic so a dark colored floor with that hand scraped look is what I would really like, just something durable that can handle moisture well and won't peel up or wrinkle if the dog pees on it or kids spill a drink. And a good locking system is preferable ill pay extra not to deal with tough seams and get a better product. One thing I've never done is put trim up around the uneven surface of the foundation rocks. I was thinking of spreading a good flat mortor base along the base to glue and nail the trim to?? Any other suggestions on that ?
Thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well you cant put any flooring in until you test for moisture. As for trim, I at one time made a 4" by 6" box running the length of the uneven wall, the top of the box I scribed to fit a stone foundation. I used it to hide the floor transition and to run AV cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The moisture issue will be fixed by the tuckpointing and we are re grading the dirt outside the house so it should be 100% dry, the reason I want a good waterproof durable floor is more for the pets and kids and just moisture from being a basement. Don't suspect any moisture to be under the floor it 95% was dry before I started it just had a few spots to fix. With that said flooring recomendations? Still go with the snap lock allure ultra planks? Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understand, I should clarify the majority of the moisture we saw before starting was only in 3 spots on the wall surface due to holes in the tuck pointed foundation both in and out and that has been fixed already and dry as of dateb. I'm sure since we just got a foot of snow I will know in a week if the issue was fixed. The area of the basement with floor moisture is one corner which will remain unfinished and storage and will have no flooring. And it only gets wet with multiple days of rain. It is dry now. That issue will be addressed in spring when we can dig out that corner from outside and can see what's going on. I'm not trying to put a floor over an issue it's not how I run my business. I just wanted to ask other pros about flooring options. I've laid a lot of floors but generally pergo xp engineered hardwood and hardwood in above grade applications or the customer just wanted something cheap not caring. This customer is a good friend of mine, we are building a Super Bowl party spot so time is limited and I need to order flooring so before I did it blindly never using this particular product before I just was looking for other options because its all I know of for vinyl plank that has come recommended before.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I understand that you believe the subfloor is ok. If you think that tuckpointing walls, or using visual inspection to determine whether or not a below grade subfloor is suitable for flooring, you should probably consider calling a qualified flooring contractor.
Best of luck with the project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the foundation inspected by a foundation company prior to my beginning and the only spot of concern will be unfinished and addressed when its above -32 degrees. I have a 100% dry floor where we are finishing. I appreciate your Concern but I have a dry subfloor and inspection giving me an ok to proceed and all I wanted was a good flooring recommendation. I will research further myself.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't want to bust your balls, but you have an inspection from a foundation company stating that the subfloor is ok? Ok for what? You state the subfloor is dry. By what method did you test to come to that conclusion? You really owe it to your customer to do work for which you're hired correctly. I understand you are here trying to gather information, but below grade is a different ballgame, and obviously you have no experience with it. Do your homework or call a professional before you rush a job to be done before a Superbowl party.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I don't want to bust your balls, but you have an inspection from a foundation company stating that the subfloor is ok? Ok for what? You state the subfloor is dry. By what method did you test to come to that conclusion? You really owe it to your customer to do work for which you're hired correctly. I understand you are here trying to gather information, but below grade is a different ballgame, and obviously you have no experience with it. Do your homework or call a professional before you rush a job to be done before a Superbowl party.
To add: There's "dry" and dry enough for the floor covering that you intend to install. The two can be miles apart and visually look the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts