Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, you may remember I asked about high velocity systems a while back, well that did not entice the owners at all.
Original plan was an electric heat pump with a back up coil from a propane fired boiler.

Any new exciting systems we should look in to?

We have looked into geo thermal but at this time may be cost prohibitive.
One of the bids is for a air to air heat ex-changer they say will work down to -13 but I think we will still have to do a back up boiler, Climate here in the north east is too cold.

Thanks people.
dave

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Air to air heat pump is great for spring, summer, and fall. Real cold months, is an issue that needs to be dealt with. What setup do most people use up there? Why not duel fuel with an oil furnace backup (provided nat. gas isn't available)? Better yet, dual fuel with propane. Should they bring a nat gas line, the conversion would be simple simon, and lots of folks prefer to cook with gas as well. I would stay away from anything that is new and exciting, as there are probably some kinks that will need to be worked out.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Make sure you do the insulation right or an awesome HVAC system is worthless. I have 3800 sq ft of year 1900 farm house that I remodeled. I gutted everything and did the insulation right. Closed cell spray foam and wet cellulose. Then I added a geothermal. My whole house is electric. Haven't had an electric bill over $140 yet. I do burn wood in the winter but it is hardly worth it with the geo.

Keep in mind if you go geo you get the 30% tax credit. This includes all components necessary for the geo to function so you could get 30% off a well pump, duct work, etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts