Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at least to me. I've gotten this exact response (coming from multiple different email names) to our cl ad....

body {font-size: 12pt; font-family: "tahoma"; } ** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Good Afternoon I'm looking for a great tradesman for my brother. Are you living in atlanta, or are you close by? Maybe i'm seeing things but I couldn't find your working rate on your cl post, Anyway, if you could send me your working rate that would be awesome, everytime look for your ad, its like way down the category, or nowhere to be found. You really should post your company in a decent directory like tradesmenfind.com so you will be quicker to see. Hope to hear from you Much Thanks!

Hmmm, wonder what this could be all about? :laughing: My "working rate" for finishing out a basement?....whaddya think?.....Tree-fiddy?

I know this whole thing can't be a shill for tradesmanbs.com, can it?!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
...at least to me. I've gotten this exact response (coming from multiple different email names) to our cl ad....

body {font-size: 12pt; font-family: "tahoma"; } ** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY

Good Afternoon I'm looking for a great tradesman for my brother. Are you living in atlanta, or are you close by? Maybe i'm seeing things but I couldn't find your working rate on your cl post, Anyway, if you could send me your working rate that would be awesome, everytime look for your ad, its like way down the category, or nowhere to be found. You really should post your company in a decent directory like tradesmenfind.com so you will be quicker to see. Hope to hear from you Much Thanks!

Hmmm, wonder what this could be all about? :laughing: My "working rate" for finishing out a basement?....whaddya think?.....Tree-fiddy?

I know this whole thing can't be a shill for tradesmanbs.com, can it?!! :rolleyes:

Charge him a lost-and-found rate... since he said he could not find you nowhere? :whistling

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I get alot of emails from gmail addys and they all say something like still looking for work? Do you need help with money? I get like 10 a day all from different emails but all come from gmail.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I get alot of emails from gmail addys and they all say something like still looking for work? Do you need help with money? I get like 10 a day all from different emails but all come from gmail.
I got the same whenever I would run an add.
also have people calling from god knows where trying to sell me website services. they all say the same thing," Hello are you looking for work in the XXXXX area."
ahh yea, I am
" well we're XXXX from XXX company"
at that point I hang up

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must not have been paying attention, the bs is slightly different, this time it's for an uncle, not a brother and the rest is just a little bit different, but saying the same thing....they're getting smarter :whistling

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY

Hello I'm looking for prices for my uncle. Are you available in atlanta, or are you close? Maybe i am crazy but I couldn't find a price list on your cl post, Anyway, if you could send me your pricing that would be fantastic, every single time look for your ad, its like way down the website, or i can't find it. You really should post your company in a directory like tradesmenfind.com so you will be quicker to notice. Let me know Much Thanks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You forgot "the FBI fraud division is in need of contacting you about funds LEGITAMATELY yours someone was trying to illegally obtain" or "Dear benevelant Mr. or Mrs. I saw your name (APPARENTLY Jim is ALSO a women's name:rolleyes:) and knew I could trust you. I am the diposed king of Nigeria and ................) or the classic " I am in the textile industry and do A LOT of business with Holywood movie producers and wardrobe companies. I have trouble cashing their money orders and am need of a broker and .................." APPARENTLY International money orders,wire transfers AND cashier's checks aren't available to just ANYONE!:laughing:

as much as I enjoy CT I must regret I will be leaving shortly and won't have time to be on here.:sad: You see after I cash in on the several cars I've "won",lotery winnings I've "won" in Europe (I didn't have to enter they "randomly selected" my e-mail) and MANY others I'll be TO busy!:laughing:

Just remember they wouldn't be doing this if there weren't people falling for them!:no:

·
Banned
846 Posts
Sometimes the spam you get is funny. I signed up for a email newsletter about hunting in Alaska. I've never been hunting and thought it might be fun. I guess they sold my email because I got invited to join this site:

www.beartrapping.com

Definetely not what I thought it was going to be! If this is the kind of thing that goes on, well maybe I don't need to go on a hunting trip to Alaska.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
You forgot "the FBI fraud division is in need of contacting you about funds LEGITAMATELY yours someone was trying to illegally obtain" or "Dear benevelant Mr. or Mrs. I saw your name (APPARENTLY Jim is ALSO a women's name:rolleyes:) and knew I could trust you. I am the diposed king of Nigeria and ................) or the classic " I am in the textile industry and do A LOT of business with Holywood movie producers and wardrobe companies. I have trouble cashing their money orders and am need of a broker and .................." APPARENTLY International money orders,wire transfers AND cashier's checks aren't available to just ANYONE!:laughing:

as much as I enjoy CT I must regret I will be leaving shortly and won't have time to be on here.:sad: You see after I cash in on the several cars I've "won",lotery winnings I've "won" in Europe (I didn't have to enter they "randomly selected" my e-mail) and MANY others I'll be TO busy!:laughing:

I used to get alot of nigeria lawyers emailing me about the millions some old dead guy left me. All I had to do was send them $5000. I told the lawyer if he would cover the $5000 I would give him half of the 80 million. He didnt want to do that so I sent him a few racist emails. :laughing:

Just remember they wouldn't be doing this if there weren't people falling for them!:no:
It does keep things interesting sometimes. As long as I don't start getting 100 or 1,000 of the damn things a day.:shutup:
Hitting the spam button can cause that. If you delete it the computer thinks its a unused email. If you hit spam they get a email saying dont send anymore emails and the computer then sends you emails from the other 10,000 email addresses it uses.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I got the same whenever I would run an add.
also have people calling from god knows where trying to sell me website services. they all say the same thing," Hello are you looking for work in the XXXXX area."
ahh yea, I am
" well we're XXXX from XXX company"
at that point I hang up

Never hang up on a phone solicitor! They provide entertainment.

My new thing is to "talk dirty to them". It's hilarious. Male or female. It doesn't matter. The shock value is worth it and they don't call back. :clap:

Reactions: Deadhead Derek

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Never hang up on a phone solicitor! They provide entertainment.

My new thing is to "talk dirty to them". It's hilarious. Male or female. It doesn't matter. The shock value is worth it and they don't call back. :clap:
I should try that. :laughing:

It would be my luck some fat hairy guy will show up at my door and say so you sounded interested in me on the phone. Id love to go hang out.:eek:

·
Banned
846 Posts
How much do you charge Dustyrose? What's your number?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts