Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
669 Posts
I for one would have NO problem taking your free hot dog, eating it and using your flier as a napkin without so much as a glance as to what your selling ... bad idea in my opinion, but only because you're not doing it in my neighborhood, otherwise I'd cheer you on and tell you to go for it!

Waitaminute! where in LA!?!

Great Idea Dude you Rock! wanna meet PGD? ... Give me directions to your hot dog event and make mine a spicy polish!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you're serious about this 'idea', just help with fund raisers and charities. See'ing your name on those thingies will get more calls then some gimmick.

When I see someone handing out 'freebees' not at their normal place of business, the one thing that goes through my mind is: "Boy, they must suck if they have to stoop to this level."

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We'll see?

I'm going to do my first home show on Saturday September 18th. This is because I don't want to work on the Labor Day weekend and it will take me a few weeks to get everything ready.

My first location is at the home of a customer we already did work for. The owner is an elderly single man and his home is on a busy street corner. I am paying him $100 for using his yard and will throw some grass seed and fertilizer on his lawn when finished.The homeowner said we could use his yard for free, but I would rather pay the $100 so we can use it again in the future.

I am having several signs made and will place signs on the location of the event one week in advance and will send out flyers before the event and on the same day. I will leave the signs at the event location for an indedinite period.

We are checking with the health department to see if we need a permit for serving food.

The area I picked is the Crenshaw District in Los Angeles. The people are a mixture of every race and we are well-known in this area. We probably already did work for 10% of the homeowners in this neighborhood. These are the type of people who will welcome this type of event and they turn it into something positive as they are munching on their dogs and talking amongst their neighbors.

People are going to ask questions about plumbing and heating problems. "Hey, grab another dog, get back in line, and fill out that form to request a free estimate!" This can't be a better time because our heating season starts around the middle of September.

And....thank you for all the positive feedback.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Leonard,

Have all of your sales staff and subcontracted work; ie remodeling subs salesmen available in a booth(s) to answer any Home Improvement questions that may come about.

But, remember the main focus is primarily the Good-Will Branding of your Company Name and dedication to the communities you serve.

Good luck and I know you will keep us posted.

It sounds like a Scrumptiously delightful day long event.

It reminds me of the old Block Parties certain streets and neighborhoods used to throw in more congested neighborhoods.

Don't offer or sell any alcoholic beverages though, because then you add on another liability issue that I am sure you don't want to have to deal with.

Ed

·
Banned
669 Posts
Crenshaw District!?!

isn't that where all the drive thru restaurants have 1 inch bulletproof transaction boxes!?

I dunno if that's a good idea, but if you make it out ok I'll know why they call you 'PCP'!

'Cause you gotta be on PCP to survive in that part of town.

I'll just go to der weinersnitchel ... and pray your charity doesn't end with a chalk outline.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Now that is some funny stuff.

One last thing,....Just to cross all the "t's" and dot all the "i's".....Run a background check on the elderly guy who owns the property.

Last thing you want is kid's wolfing down hot-dogs in the company of uncle pervy.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Now that is some funny stuff.

One last thing,....Just to cross all the "t's" and dot all the "i's".....Run a background check on the elderly guy who owns the property.

Last thing you want is kid's wolfing down hot-dogs in the company of uncle pervy.

:thumbsup:
Now, that would be funny. Rent a site from the local pedo.:laughing: Might want to do a search of all local perv's since there is a rule on how close they can be to certain functions. I ran one just to see what was in my neighborhood and come to find out there was one 1 block plus 1 house away from the local elementary school. He bought a house within twenty feet of the limit. Friggin' sicko!:censored:

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's right.

Crenshaw District!?!

isn't that where all the drive thru restaurants have 1 inch bulletproof transaction boxes!?

I dunno if that's a good idea, but if you make it out ok I'll know why they call you 'PCP'!

'Cause you gotta be on PCP to survive in that part of town.

I'll just go to der weinersnitchel ... and pray your charity doesn't end with a chalk outline.
The Crenshaw District is a very tough area, but it is mixed with a lot of good working class people who take care of their homes to protect the home's value. The district is about 80% black, has a few Hispanics, and a few Asians. For almost every Asian customer, we closed a sale for $10,000 to $20,000. This is the first area where I started my business 36 years ago by delivering flyers door-to-door and I still deliver flyers in the neighborhood about 4 times a year.

I'll wear a bullet proof vest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi pcplumber!
I am currently reading the book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini. Chapter 2 entitled Reciprocation is about this exact psychological "rule". According to Cialdini, most people will ". . . try to repay, in kind, what another person has provided us."
We see this in play constantly. In my area, there is a gardening center that hosts free gardening classes, free wine tastings and a free dog park. Guess what! They are packed every weekend with people buying gardening supplies.
I think if you can make this work, go for it. I would love to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Regards,
Annette

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you very much.

Hi pcplumber!
I am currently reading the book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini. Chapter 2 entitled Reciprocation is about this exact psychological "rule". According to Cialdini, most people will ". . . try to repay, in kind, what another person has provided us."
We see this in play constantly. In my area, there is a gardening center that hosts free gardening classes, free wine tastings and a free dog park. Guess what! They are packed every weekend with people buying gardening supplies.
I think if you can make this work, go for it. I would love to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

Regards,
Annette
We have a tool supply house called Shamrock. I never purchased anything at this business and saw them giving away free tacos, Carne Asada, tortillas, rice, and cans of soda. I stopped to eat the food and ended up purchasing several item for several months afterward. They have manufacturer reps during their feast and I purchased three Ridgid sewer locators at about $2200 each. I think Shamrock gives away free food every Tuesday and maybe the reps pay for the food. Not a bad idea? Maybe you can get manufacturers to pay for your gig.

Thank you for the input.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
How did it go?
Apparently well:
This is what we did over the last weekend in Sandy Valley Nevada. This is what we live for. This is what is worth working for. When I go to the desert I turn my cell phone off and am impossible to reach for 3 or 4 days.

He was no where near the event.

:laughing:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you might be mistaken Celtic, I think he was planning on hosting it this weekend, the 18th, not the pictured date......could be wrong.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I think you might be mistaken Celtic, I think he was planning on hosting it this weekend, the 18th, not the pictured date......could be wrong.
Nah...I'm just having fun :jester:
[I'm probably wrong on date]

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Glad you remembered the date and.....

I don't want you to think I chickened out. Went to the desert for about the past 5 weekends and have to go for the next two weekends to meet with relatives and we have other business in the desert. In about three weeks we will settle down and do the neighborhood yard show. The middle of October will be better because it is too warm in Los Angeles and furnace season has not kicked in.

These are pictures from this past weekend. We started climbing the mountain in the background at about 5 pm on Sunday. The axle broke on our trailer the 2md weekend in a row, at 8 pm as we were leaving the mountain, and we didn't get back to Los Angeles until 3:30 a.m.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd never stop for a hot dog, however if I had kids in the car, I'd never live it down if I didn't stop for free candy. I think it's a good idea.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts