Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 7x14 is finally completed and I went and I picked her up this past Friday. Spent some of the weekend fitting out the interior how I had designed it in Sketchup and I'm liking how it is turning out.

As most of you can tell right away I have the Paulk miter saw stand and I really like it. I decided to incorporate it into the cabinets of the trailer and instead of storing it I would set it up and it would act as a countertop for working and it is still useable with just over 8' of cut to the right of the blade.

I also wanted some 4x8 sheet good storage that is on the right side and also a slot for my folding sawhorses that I designed.

I used a couple other Paulk designs from his tool trailers like the drawer for shovels and the slots for levels etc. I'm going to give his drawer design a try to, although I'm making them slightly differently they will still slide in dados in the cabinet sides (currently there is a place for two drawers under the miter saw stand).

As you can see in the above photo the miter saw stand is sitting over a couple blocks that are fastened to the cabinet and go up through the miter saw stand. It's a pretty snug fit and with the saw on top it's fairly heavy so I'm thinking it should stay put while in transit.

I made some small "garages" for my compressor and my shop vac to stay in. My new table saw will sit to the right of them where the vac hose is.

On right side I have the miter saw horses and my work platforms held in by a hinged guard to keep them in place. I didn't want to deal with bungees and I wanted something that would stay in place and wouldn't get lost. So far these seem like they are going to work great.

On the top I have storage for air guns and other tools. I didn't go with dividers in grooves but instead went with dividers secured with pocket hole screws. Now they are easily moved and can be fastened anywhere, not just in a groove.

The front V of the trailer is hard to use effectively so I just threw some shelves in the V and now I have a flat front to work up to so to speak.

I wanted my ladders standing up inside the trailer rather than outside the trailer or on top. I also didn't want bungees or straps holding these in so I went with a hinged guard to keep them in place. We will see how it works but I'm pretty confident in it although I may need to put a stop along the floor.

I still have a lot to do but at least it's ready to go to work which is what I needed.

I plan to extend the level of the miter saw stand all the way to the ladders and have more drawers there. Then shallow storage up above them to the ceiling.

I want to build a chest of drawers on the right opposite of the ladders.

I then I have plans for caulking storage and small things throughout the trailer. Should be fun fitting it out but will be even more fun working out of this thing vs the bed/backseat of my truck!

Oh yea, then installing lights in it, a few outlets and plumbing in air so my compressor can stay put in the trailer.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas here on the forums!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BC.

I've been thinking about what to do to the floor. I dont think I want to paint it a color or else scratches and stuff would be really noticeable. I'm thinking of taking everything out of the trailer and going to town with my sprayer and some polycrylic on pretty much every bit of it. Maybe toss down a bit of sand on the floor as I spray it?

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Thanks BC.

I've been thinking about what to do to the floor. I dont think I want to paint it a color or else scratches and stuff would be really noticeable. I'm thinking of taking everything out of the trailer and going to town with my sprayer and some polycrylic on pretty much every bit of it. Maybe toss down a bit of sand on the floor as I spray it?
I have had my trailer since about 2008 and only just this week had to redo the floors. They didnt really need doing but im anal with how the trailer looks. It didnt take much more than 5hrs total to sand and do 3 coats on the floor. Only problem is it took 3days to get to the point i could put stuff back in the trailer. There's a whole lot of wood look going on in that trailer and a gray on the floor would break that up nice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice start! You're gonna love working out of it, trust me. Got mine back in July and it makes me happy going to work now having the trailer. Never have to think about what I need to load and wind up forgetting something. The worst was when I would encounter something I didn't anticipate and didn't have the right tool to finish or fix the issue. Your productivity goes up a lot.

I kind of wish I had sprayed the floor in mine. I was thinking about getting it sprayed with the same stuff I did my truck bed with, but was in a hurry to get it rolling and didn't really want to spend and didn't really have the $ at the time.

Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have to ask a dumb question.
I have seen several guys say they are leaving their compressor in the trailer and just running air hoses out of it.
My compressors can't be run off of extension cords. Of course the newer ones say they can be, but the cords can't be very long. I had to use a 100' 12/2 cord for one job and we burnt up the compressor. (Just a part, repaired it)
Are you running really heavy extension cords? Are you not worried about it?
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
One thing I did and gets used the most, installed an inverter and battery. I've had a couple of job site door retros and ran the planer and router with no issue and didn't have to run a cord to the trailer. It gets used daily though for charging batteries. I love having them in one place and not forgetting a battery and charger on the site somewhere. Plus it keeps them out of the sun. One of the better mods I've do to the trailer. Next up is a way to carry base and case material, plans are in the works.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mikeharold said:
Next up is a way to carry base and case material, plans are in the works.
I'm interested in what your plans are for that. My plan is to sell the 6x12 I have now and get a new 7x14 v-nose that has16' on the floor down the center for the times I need to transport full lengths of trim and such. Ideally would be a 7' tall trailer and make a storage rack up at the ceiling to keep various common profiles 'in stock'.

Ron

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That looks like a lot of money in plywood.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up some light grey porch paint to slap on the floors.... Should make it look a little nicer inside and break up all the plywood.

My thoughts were to get the V-nose on the 14'er and haul 16' material in the inside but the manufacturer of my trailer doesn't have a very deep V-nose and I have about 15' inside the trailer. I have some thoughts on how to get a good setup for hauling trim on the sides. I plan on having some removable "J" hooks that I can take on and off when I need to haul longer material. I don't have it all figured out yet but I have pretty good idea of what I need to do.

Yea, it was a lot of money in plywood but I knew it had to be bought in order for me to get the most out of my trailer. I'm glad I made the purchase as the setup is working pretty well so far and it will only get much better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm interested in what your plans are for that. My plan is to sell the 6x12 I have now and get a new 7x14 v-nose that has16' on the floor down the center for the times I need to transport full lengths of trim and such. Ideally would be a 7' tall trailer and make a storage rack up at the ceiling to keep various common profiles 'in stock'.

Ron
Mine is a 14' v nose, but the v only extends to 15'. Need to get down to my custom trailer fabricator who I bought it from and put a plan into action. What I'm looking to do is make an access door in the front of the v between the vertical posts that folds down with heavy duty hinges that create a pass through platform. This will be up high enough to clear the truck bed and not be an issue with turning radius. I will have to rig up a rack system inside for support, but that won't be a big deal and I don't need to carry that kind of material all the time.

If i had ordered my trailer I wouldn't have gone with 7' tall, but was going to do 6'6". This one came as 7' and would never do anything less down the road! I LOVE the 7' interior! That extra 6" allowed me to carry my extension ladder and have room above my upper cabinets for misc lumber and pipe material. Go fro the 7' option, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
For your exterior "J" hooks, I saw some. I have seen a new box truck around. They have aluminum J hooks on the exterior. The hooks are on a spring system and fold flat when not in use. I don't have a picture or a very good description, for that matter, but they look pretty handy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts