Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We visited the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles. If you are ever in the area, stop in for a dose of near-forgotten history.
While you are at it, check out the floorcovering! The material appears to be the ends of 2x4s. Millions of them! It was installed 8 years ago(?) and it looks great. One employee said, "it doesn't get waxed, but it does get oiled." I didn't understand, but perhaps someone here can explain. I found one edge exposed and it appears to be solid, about 9/16" thick +/-, though I could not be sure.
Who has seen this before?

Attachments

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
All the shop floors at my high school had that type of floor three hundred years ago.:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you go to a museum and all we get to see a picture of the floor?

Freak
HAHAA! I was lucky to get that much. Officially, photography is forbidden in that museum. I had to find an vacant area of the exhibit in which to capture these covert images. I guess they don't want anyone muscling in on their 'history documentation' gig. :rolleyes:
Also, it is hard to argue your assessment that I am a freak. Or, as I like to say, "A few planks short of a full box." :laughing:

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Believe it or not I do sorta recall the thickness. I was a Vocational Electric Shop Major at the time and we frequently had assignments to install lathes and saws and drill presses and stuff.

I can remember the blocks being about 1-1/2" to 2" thick. They were on a concrete substrate and not adhered to the substrate. There was some type of very thick liquid material (possibly a rich varnish) used to pour and trowel over the blocks that would settle between them and harden. The wood shop guys did that part.:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe it or not I do sorta recall the thickness. I was a Vocational Electric Shop Major at the time and we frequently had assignments to install lathes and saws and drill presses and stuff.

I can remember the blocks being about 1-1/2" to 2" thick. They were on a concrete substrate and not adhered to the substrate. There was some type of very thick liquid material (possibly a rich varnish) used to pour and trowel over the blocks that would settle between them and harden. The wood shop guys did that part.:)
Cool! Wow, that thick. And floating, no less. Very interesting.
Well, I am too curious to let it alone. I contacted this company and asked them to send me info and samples.
:detective:

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
I don't see what they are specing for a grouting product.:)

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
End block flooring, has been around for ages. It is very expensive and very labor intensive, but it will take a beating, because of the strength in th fiber orientation. I have seen wood flour, and urethane used as a joint filler. There is also have rounds. Saw a bathroom floor where it was done with all different sizes of round ends, and urethaned. Very unique floor.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Very cool topic, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I'm a freak too....you have no idea how many times the wife and I have been watching a movie and she's into the plot saying "did you see that thing do that other thing..blah, blah, blah" and I'm like "Did you SEE THAT FLOOR".....and she's like :sad: :no: :laughing: "Freak"

:whistling:laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts