Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will never use bondo again. Wanted to make nice boxes/ columns( for railing outside) less then a year later it's falling off. Had to scrape and redo what a pain. What else could I use? Any advice?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok made a box with trim board. To use as post. Came primed I wanted no seam so I used bondo to skim edges to cover.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
It's for cars.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Cars and boats.

I've used it a bit in the past for small wood repar. Sculpting some details on old trim that was damaged. But not skim coating something like that.

Wood is going to expand and contract a much greater rate than the bondo. That's gonna cause the bondo to break away over time.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
It's actually Bondo brand as well. I thinks it's called Bondo for wood
Yup, it's the same type of polyester resin material, and does not expand and contract the same as wood, and although sometimes it holds up indoors in some applications, I would not use it outdoors. Use a wood epoxy for outdoor wood instead.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Well,

If I understand you correctly, your wrapping a porch post to create an architectural column using trim board and your ending up with a lot of seam exposure- am I correct....:blink:

Try using FF biscuits and TB III , glue & clamp the column- good . You can sand the seam areas lightly after drying and the seam will not be visible if done correctly and will last as long as the wood is maintained with a repaint when needed . I am not a big fan of filling imperfections. Nail holes - understandably but major areas......:rolleyes:

Jason Whipple is enamored with filling and restoring , he does nice work but I don't like the idea of fillers personally...

Here's a thread you may find interesting if you want to continue with your process.: http://www.contractortalk.com/f102/porch-restoration-117610/

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I always prefer to "design" seam issues out of a column........especially exterior.
V-beading.......etc.
I assume all exterior seams will eventually become visible due to material movement.

When I must fill, I rely on Abatron products. Been using their WoodEpox for a few years now, and it has never let me down.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
No link visible for me :sad:

How about two part bond and fill.

You'll have to secure really well to stop movement .
or
if not mitered corners. back rip at slight angle to allow
front edge to sit tight.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts