Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I could use a little help if you can.

Here is what I have going on.
My wireless router is a D-link 655 and this is the manual:
http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DIR/DIR 655/Manuels/DIR655B1manual070312v23pdf.pdf

I have my laptop (wireless) works fine with my 655....
I have a wireless printer HP , works fine with my laptop....

Now this is what I am trying to do.

I just picked up a Optiplex 650 which has the LAN Ethernet connection:
Users guide: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...optiplex-gx620_user's guide_en-us.pdf#page173

The Optiplex 650 is going to be set up as a dedicated computer for CAD and MS office 2003. I wanted a clean machine stripped of useless software so that's what is on this machine- it flies. I am running Windows XP professional 32 bit on the 650. I will not be accessing the internet with this machine (support for XP stops in April 2013)

Then I have my Designjet 750C+ plot printer with the optional jetdirect card for setting it up as a network printer.

Here is the manual: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/si...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Here is the set up for a network printer process for this plotter. http://youtu.be/MFe9SXXZgX8

Then I have my hp office jet 8500 which is a wireless printer.

What I want to do is print to both the designjet 750c and the 8500 from the Optiplex 650.

I am a little confused at how this all goes together......do I run the Ethernet cable from the computer into one of the hubs on my router...and then run another cable from the jetdirect card in the 750c into another hub in the router :blink: And what do I have to do to set it up as a network printer...:blink: I'm not to familiar with router setups or networks.....that's putting it mildly ....

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...:thumbsup:

Thank you,

B,

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Everything either by air or cable gets a connection to the router.

650 cabled to router port
JetDirect Card cabled to router port

Then >one< piece of equipment at a time read through the manual for set up and connecting to a local area net work. Make it work :thumbup: It's not terribly difficult one piece of equipment at a time. Router settings should not be an issue, but you never know.

If I had time this morning I'd throw down and help out.

Hopefully you'll get some assistance.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well ,
I have the Ethernet cable going into one of the 4 hubs on the Dlink 655 and going into my jet direct card in the. Hp Designjet 750c. I fallowed the video I found on youtube......

It wasn't working ....so I called someone that knows all about this......

I set the getaway IP address wrong on the jetdirect card....

Just something I learned today when setting a network printer .

The gateway settings have too match the router....

So for example:

My router gateway address would be 192.168.2.1

My GW address on the Jetdirect card in my Designjet 750C+ Was set to 192.168.1.1

My address for designjet was set to 192.168.1.200

The first three brackets have to me the same as the gateway address - which they weren't .

So I set my address as fallows in the jetdirect card on my 750c:

The IP address was set to:192.168.2.200
The Gateway set to: 192.168.2.1

Sent a test page from my windows 7 laptop using the windows XP driver for the designjet 750c and she fired write up!:clap:

Then I set it up on my desktop Optiplex 650 - sent a test page and it worked like a charm......:clap:

I am starting to understand this a lot better know, but it can become a little frustrating since I am no computer wiz.....:laughing:

Thanks gents!

B,

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Router = gateway, so when it says gateway address put your router's address.

Make sure you set the DHCP address range on your router under LAN settings outside of .200 (for example .2-.199), or make a DHCP reservation for it.

DIR655 sucks.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Don't like D-Stink either, but it's the user interface for me and bad experience on performance.

Networking is actually quite 'logical', some times too much so :censored:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I am starting to understand this a lot better know, but it can become a little frustrating since I am no computer wiz.....:laughing:
I'm glad you got it working! :thumbup:

But I'd also like to share something that can help you and anyone else on here who is non-technically inclined when it comes to computers.

Understanding and using the correct terminology is one thing that is very important. Even if you don't know the correct term, it would be better to use a layman's way to describe what you are talking about rather than attempting to use a buzz word thinking that it will help someone understand you better.

For instance, you kept mentioning "hubs" on your router. We kind of figured out that you meant "ports" or "connections" based on the context of the discussion.

But a hub and router are two separate devices. If you were to go to the big box store or call the tech support line talking about the hubs on your router, they would be confused and have a much harder time helping you. It would be the same thing as a newbie or a DIYer coming on the CT forum asking how can they get the nails to work in their screw gun.

In their minds, nails and screws are the same thing but we would be here inadvertently giving them a hard time simply because we know that nails don't work in a screw gun.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have had this router for over a year,.....works fine for me....

Why do you not care for the Dlink 655...:blink:

B,
That specific model had a few firmware builds where it wouldn't work properly with WPA security as well as DNS problems. In short if it says D-Link on the outside it belongs in the trash.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yes,
I totally agree with you, my appologies for blasterdizing the computer lingo.....;)

I was wondering what router (brand/model) do you guys like :blink:

Thanks,

B,
Mikrotik

But if you want something cheap and easy to setup my go-to consumer router is a Netgear WNDR3700.

I'm currently running an UBNT EdgeRouter at my place.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What makes the router your referring to - better :blink:

When I go to shop for a wireless router,.......that's as far as I go as far as what details to look for..:rolleyes:..:laughing: I have to rely on the sales rep...( sometimes that goes the way of the Home Depot sales rep..:whistling) . All the information plastered on the box looks like Greek language to me and I don't understand most of it,,,,,

So ,

What does one look for in getting a decent router.....and would I really notice the difference.....:blink:

B,

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What makes the router your referring to - better :blink:

When I go to shop for a wireless router,.......that's as far as I go as far as what details to look for..:rolleyes:..:laughing: I have to rely on the sakes rep...( sometimes that goes the way of the Home Depot sales rep..:whistling) . All the information plastered on the box looks like Greek language to me and I don't understand most of it,,,,,

So ,

What does one look for in getting a decent router.....and would I really notice the difference.....:blink:

B,
The routers I use have features I require that you would never use in your life.

With consumer routers there is only one thing you should look for:

- Does it offer stable firmware?

If you are confused as to what to buy ask someone who installs lots of them for a recommendation.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What features....:blink: The firmware is updatable on mine ....what does that do...:blink:

Don't you work with routers and the like on a consistent basis,,,,,?

B,
I need multiple VLAN support and custom NAT rules.

Firmware updates for D-Link are a gamble whether it's going to help or hinder. :laughing:

Yeah I work with many routers...that's why I was referring to myself. :whistling

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Warrior,:thumbsup:

When this one bites the bullet that is definitely something I will consider...

What makes this model/manufacturer so much better than what I am using.....? And what is "AC" ...:blink:

B,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts