Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I'm a new land surveyor, and boy do I feel dumb. Here's why:
My first project I did for the developer I work for was the site plan for a new house. After untold hours editing and rechecking the plan, I felt pretty confident I was on the right track. Getting out to the site a day early, I set up and began laying everything out, exactly to the plan I'd submitted. The next day, when the GC showed up, he walked around the site for about ten minutes, told me "Nice paint job, and I like the orange flags, but you should really wait until after the hole is dug before you lay out the footings" :wallbash:
Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice, or things you'd like to see, and maybe, just maybe, with your help I can not look idiot.
Thank,
Skoot

·
Super Moderator
10,597 Posts
20 years ago, the company I worked for would often layout the house without a surveyor. Basic houses out in the boonies often. One day our superintendent and a laborer went out to layout a house. They were there working for a couple of hours, carefully measuring and staking. When they finished, they heard the neighbor came over and asked what they were doing. They told him they were staking out so that construction could begin. He then informed them that they were on the wrong lot! They quickly removed the stakes and moved to the adjacent(correct) lot. The super instructed the laborer to never tell anyone about this. He spilled the beans at the first opportunity.:laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm going to be making a lot of mistakes in the near future, as I only hold an interim license, and sadly, the engineer who was training (mentoring? overseeing? something like that) suffered a fatal heart attack, leave me as the only one even remotely close to being capable of doing the GIS/layout stuff. I was licensed in May... so I'm really out of my league until I get a new boss. Hopefully, I can bring some humor to everybody with my naive bumbelings while picking up pointers on what the guys with the hammers would like to see. (Warren: lets not talk about the wrong lot... or remembering to calibrate the total station :blush:)

Thanks,
Skoot

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
DS,
Probably could of used you on my house.At least I'd have a good starting point.

I went by the lot plan,measuring off a marked fence for my footers,added an extra 4' away for future staircase,built house,went for as built,got turned down.
Too close to property line.
WTF
Looked at permit,remeasured,looked good to me.
Check with Town Hall.Wrong set back requirement for zone written on permit.
My only saving grace was Building Official had signed off on the Permit so,they were forced to give me a variance.
Some mistakes could become costly,but if I had it Surveyed for footings,could have still built my stairs.

Always double check the #'s and verify second hand information.

Good Luck to you and welcome!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts