Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well i have a very confusing problem.i have 5 neon letters that spell out drive that started to have a light noticeable flicker. So at first i thought may be the transformer is going bad so i took out the transformer it was an outdoor 12000 v transformer. And i replaced it with a new 15000v outdoor transformer and it still flickered.So i thought it might be the gto wire coming from the transformer going to the neon and by the way i checked every electrode on the neon to see if it was bad and nothing it was all good so i ran new wire thru the conduit and it still flickered :mad: . so then i took the transformer out of the metal case that it was in and just direct connected it to the letters taking the conduit out of the mix and it worked without flickering. so it seems that the conduit is causing some kind of problem that i cant figure out because every piece of wire on the restaurant is ran thru conduit and there is no problem with anything else.I have tested 2 different transformers on the letters just to make sure. And they both work but when i put the transformer back in it original case and connect the gto wire that runs thru the conduit it flickers again i have troublshooted this problem for almost 2 weeks and cant figure it out i need some input if anybody needs more info just ask thank you

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like the sign lettering tubing needs to be recharged or is reaching the end of it's life. Tell your customer to call a sign shop that does neon. You are just wasting time and money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a family members business and im doing it for free for him i just cant see how it would be the neon because i tested every letter seperate and they all worked fine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts