Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, the house got forclosed and the clean up guys came over to tell me they found the sewage running (piped- deliberatly) into the ravine that leads to my pond at the bottom of my property (I rent)..... there is no septic tank, no city sewer..... just a black pipe... running into my pond. I can only think about all the fishing we've done down there, wading around, thank god no swimming. I've searched all over the net and found nothing quite like this.... the owner lost the house... but somewhere there had to be a health department inspection of the septic, the house burned back a few years ago and was rebuilt... it had to be insured... there was a payment being made to the bank. I cant find a septic anyplace... i just know there isnt one... the black pipe says it all... i cant believe it. How friggin nasty.... This personifies the word HACK. Who would build/ use a house with out a septic? Pass inspection? Insure it? It doesn't seem possible that this many professionals could drop the ball on an issue this huge. I cant find anything that looks like a septic.... Just the pipe that leads from under the house down the hill. Not even covered to try to hide it. It has been like this for years. Can any one tell me how the hell to sue everyone involved? This just pisses me off, i have a kid that's 5, we play in the woods sometimes. Can you imagine how i'm feeling? Nausiated for staters. But mainly pissed. Where do i begin here? Taking pictures tomorrow... will prob. be dismissed if i was trespassing i guess, but will do it any way...

ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED... THROW FUEL ON THIS FIRE>>>
I EXPECT SOMEONE TO GET BURNED!!!!!!!!! The bank is asking 60 k for the house...the guy owed 90... i think they just lost a little more money... We'll see what the lawyers say tomorrow. Thanks to all for any good info. Im gonna go throw out my fishing poles now and gargle with clorox.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
So, you didn't notice a sewage pipe on your property? Who's fault is that? Is this your property or are you renting?

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Cdat>>>

the ravine that leads to my pond at the bottom of my property (I rent).....
There is absolutely NOTHING you can do. Call your landlord and put your lawyers back in their box.:)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Start with the county sanitarian(?). They should be able to tell you what codes were violated, and what the legal consequences should be...

If vengance is in your blood, call one of the lawyers on TV, explain it, sue the pants off them. Sounds like the HO is loaded:laughing::laughing:. Maybe you can contribute to all of our rates going up:no:

Just get it corrected and move on....

Remember....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Make sure they are correct before you get too upset about it. You may find it is a washer or sink drain. Seen that a few times.

Still not great, but not as bad as it sounds. Hard to believe noone would have noticed raw sewage piping out of the house.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Don't sue, too much trouble & take longtime. Your own/family health is your immediate concern/danger now ->>

1. Give landlord 1-month notice to move out of the house.

2. Bill landlord for your cleanup efforts cost or health troubles, if any?

3. Hold last month rent check, deduct deposits or to cover that health bill if landlord don't pay, .. or else?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,942 Posts
Pound a big rubber stopper in the end of the pipe. Simple, problem solved.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Fill the empty (must be empty) house with methane gas and shoot a flaming, wooden arrow thru a window. Problem solved. I'm just the messanger, passing along the info...:whistling

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
If it has been like that for years, how are yo just now noticing it? Raw sewage generally has a pretty good stench to it.

You sure it's not just gray water?

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
wifey says, "Honey, you need to go to the dentist and get those teeth in na back pulled. I smells like chitterlings"

you can say, "Naw, m' teeth are fine! it was the fish we ate.":sad:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Are you sure it's not the pipe coming from the drain tile? If you really think it's sewage I would reschedule your lawyer appointment and take your family to the doctors office. Exposure to raw sewage is a way to get infected with hepatitis. I would be more concerned with my families health first then worry about what it is or isn't and who you can or can't sue. Call the health department and report it if you think it's a sewage pipe. Once you know if your family is OK and have verified whether or not it is a sewage pipe then call your lawyer.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Ok so you have a small pond at the back of your property..

Your neighbors sewage pipe runs directly into this small pond..

You fish and play by the pond..

If the above statements are true would you not have noticed a rank odour, or wonder why you were catching so many turds while fishing?

It almost sounds like John Q Moron can't locate the septic tank and then sees a black pipe at the pond and assumes its all going there.

Why not run to this house and flush the toilet and then have your wife watch the pipe to see if sh!t flies out of it?

Reactions: Darwin

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It's Oil... black oil mine gentlement.. reminds me of the "Berverly Hillbilly" show in 1970-1980 TV.. They saw pipe with black stuff... oozing out in their pond... and became rich thereafter :whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Take a garden hose and shove it past the trap in the toilet.

Turn on the water.

Go see if your pond is rising.

If so, call the county health dept and stop eating the fish from the pond.

Why does everything have to be so complicated?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.