Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , I am new to this forum . I am a residential home builder on Long Island ny and we are having problems with the neighbors on a new construction site . To give a little background the property is waterfront with a beach and had been vacant up to 4 months ago. So as you can image the neighbors not only lost their views but beach access . Our problems are ongoing since the neighbor directly across the street is now complaining that are dirt from site is on his grass and destroyed his property . We have installed silt fencing and hay bales around the entire parcel and even at the road to minimize any effects to properties around us . Our job sites are always kept spotless also . With have no issues with building dept and have done wverything to be in compliance the hay bales at road are not even required . My question would be am I as the contractor or property owners responsible for the dirt that is being wind driven onto the neighbors lawn .

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
If all is good with the "law" then you should be all set. Sounds like neighbor is being a PIA. Maybe you could offer a good raking and blowing of his grass when you're done.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I've ran into two PITA neighbors.

One said they were going to sue because we cracked their 30 year old vinyl siding but luckily beforehand pictures showed it was there already so I said any further contact will need to be through my attorney.

The second was when we were working on a rental and one of the asked a tenant in a different building if we could use their power. The tenant said yes. Then all of a sudden, the landlord says I owe thousands in electricity, blah blah blah. I told him once he gets the electricity bill for that unit I'll divide it by the days in the month and take one day and double it although we had it plugged in for two-three hours. Never heard from him again.

So long story short, you've done everything you can, the inspector is happy with the jobsite and no other neighbors are complaining. If he were to complain again I would kindly ask him to stop interrupting your progress and direct any further complaints to the local PD.

·
operator
394 Posts
Maybe hit up a harbor freight and throw a cheap tarp on the spoils. Other than that I'd tell the neighbor to pound salt.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
It would be one thing if you got anything other than dirt on the neighbor's lawn like paint, drywall dust, concrete chips, etc. but this is just plain DIRT that gets on everything.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Just be friendly, and keep doing what you're doing. Some people are just A-holes, and it's better not to waste more time than necessary placating them.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
It's not the dirt his problem is, it's you being there so he got a hard-on for you and no matter what you gonna do, he will ***** about it.
Been in a few situations like this, as long you in compliance with everything, ignore the prick and do what need to be done to finish up and GTF out of there.

Good luck

·
Contractor
7,571 Posts
You might try throwing Calcium Chloride Flake on the exposed soil, or straw mulch and tackifier over any exposed soil.

We are responsible here for soil/dust that crosses the property line, though it is rare to get a complaint.

Some neighbors complain just because that is who they are....good luck with it.

Welcome to the site. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses

Just a few photos to show what we are dealing with : The first photo is of the neighbors grass and the "affected area" photo 2 is the jobsite and our haybales. Over 25 years in construction and this one takes the cake.

Attachments

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
It's called "fugitive dust" and around here we must protect from it. Recently I took out a permit for a re-roof of an historic building. Even in that there was a warning that I was responsible for mitigating any fugitive dust.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If the foreground from the first pic is all silt blown or washed from your site, then yes you would be responsible to restore that section. I would put a dollar value on it and then give him the $$ and get a waiver stating that there is no other current damage. Then, take detailed pictures of every square inch of his property.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was quite a bit of blown dirt on his property prior to your work as you are on the coast.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
With people like this who have to much time on their hands you may want to put up a few cctv cameras just to cover yourself . You could always use them from site to site . Cheap insurance and covers you in a few ways, theft, workers or subs putting in false claims and neighbors like this .

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
With people like this who have to much time on their hands you may want to put up a few cctv cameras just to cover yourself . You could always use them from site to site . Cheap insurance and covers you in a few ways, theft, workers or subs putting in false claims and neighbors like this .
+1. I now always run video. It's paid for itself several times, a few times by stopping mischief by the neighbors.

Edit: Take a few pictures of similar properties a block away, if it will show that there's wind-blown dirt and sand naturally in the area.

·
Precision 10
57 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that most of the time people that live on water front all hate each other and will make life hell for everyone around including the people that work for there neighbors. I always take pics before I start a project so no one can say I messed something up when all they are looking for is a hand out. I would take plenty of pictures now with date stamps then if this escalates to something more at least you have documentation of what it was so your not re-landscaping the guys whole yard once the project is done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts