Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A contractor (not what I would call a pro) picked up paint for an apartment job this week and the ceilings were to be done in flat black..... instead of cutting in the ceiling he decided to use a 3/4 nap roller and created a black hat band and now is complaining the wall colors won't cover ??? Well, make no wonder.... especially when he is trying to complete the whole job in 2 days. How would you approach this to resolve the problem without pissing off the contractor ?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Explain to him how paint works...haha. Then tell him he can buy some Kilz and cover it up. If he gets really mad then give him a gallon of it and tell him not to come back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I have gone over and looked at the job and gave them another gallon along with some advice on dark colors, cutting in vs. roller skid marks and insuring the first coat is dry before proceeding with the second.... ie: "backrolling" is not gonna work as an acceptable second coat. I also told them when in doubt or for something new just ask and I will do my very best to help before something becomes a problem. Some of these guys as you all know would last about 15 minutes or less working for a big outfit and its real hard to tell a "painter" its workmanship thats the problem. I get good feedback because I am a Journeyman and have worked in the trade many years.... I can just imagine the grief a store owner would get if they never picked up a brush. I can't say enough about product education and have decided to try something innovative. I am going to write handouts and leave by the cash counter for a variety of topics such as prep, priming, transition, dark colours, ceilings etc and make sure they get handed out to anyone for their project. I think a little education is a great thing and I hate dealing with projects gone bad for no good reason. What topics should I focus on for a start ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I would like to post them on here if its ok with Nathan as I get them done prior to handing them out..... kinda get your reviews and comments. I appreciate very much how we can come together on here to make things better in the painting world. :Thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts