Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that has Ober 2000 sq/ft of 5" red oak stained ebony, and they bring me this photo and say this is what they would like my company to do, for the life of me I have never seen this kind of staining, I don't believe this photo is oak at all, please take a look an let me know what you think Thank you

Attachments

·
Owner/Installer
66 Posts
Ive seen and worked with floors like this however they were prefinished. I don't get into and sanding/staining around here. Everyone wants prefinished. It almost looks like a washed wirebrushed from Du Chateau or something like that.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I have a customer that has Ober 2000 sq/ft of 5" red oak stained ebony, and they bring me this photo and say this is what they would like my company to do, for the life of me I have never seen this kind of staining, I don't believe this photo is oak at all, please take a look an let me know what you think Thank you
I have no idea how that was done.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I'll tell ya what I think - The HO has lost their mind :laughing:

I think the only way to get that (crappy IMO) look is lots of taping, mixing, and staining. And I don't think that's Oak either. It kind of looks like my deer camp cabin done in a mix of several different species.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It must have been stained before installation if it's all read oak... hard to tell from the picture. Wouldn't be that hard to do... just take a little planning ahead of time.

·
GC/carpenter
43,850 Posts
Did you ever think it might be several different boxes of pre-finished material. In other words the same size and brand but a mix of different colors.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sand, tape off and stain individual random boards varying shades of black.
The re-stain entire floor in a lighter shade, thinned out.
Cash (lots) up front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And wouldn't the stain be sanded off while... Sanding?
maybe... I don't really know.

I've done mixed hardwood floors before that's certainly the easiest way to get that look. I just mentioned pre-staining since the OP mentioned it was all done in oak.

walnut, maple, hickory, and oak...

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,778 Posts
maybe... I don't really know.

I've done mixed hardwood floors before that's certainly the easiest way to get that look. I just mentioned pre-staining since the OP mentioned it was all done in oak.

walnut, maple, hickory, and oak...
Not trying to be rude, but IMO, that looks like ****.

Personally, I'd pass on the job in the OP

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The floor was more likely dyed..not stained

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I figured it out..it s Rubio Monocoat..its a fumed treatment,,its a chemical you apply by rag or pad to floor..it turns it grey and then you can apply your oil color of choice over it..
the tone changes you are seieng are a result of different tannin levels in individual board as this is how the chemical reacts.

Its basically like bleaching....not hard to do at all..take the job and make some good coin....

they have another pre treatment for smoking..

Mystery solved..

the brain works pretty good when you remove the Jaeger from it

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I figured it out..it s Rubio Monocoat..its a fumed treatment,,its a chemical you apply by rag or pad to floor..it turns it grey and then you can apply your oil color of choice over it..
the tone changes you are seieng are a result of different tannin levels in individual board as this is how the chemical reacts.

Its basically like bleaching....not hard to do at all..take the job and make some good coin....

they have another pre treatment for smoking..

Mystery solved..

the brain works pretty good when you remove the Jaeger from it
I suspected Rubio but Ive never seen one of their treatments thay had that much variation board to board.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Floor Flooring Wood flooring Hardwood Wood

This is the most variegated floor I could find on google. I think youre right about the product but the specific mix of wood species and colors will be tricky. Maybe a #1 common and then blue underneath and silver fumed on top...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts