Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have started business, nationwide, and need some input on the easiest way to contact reliable contractors in other states. Phone bills are killing me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Serious - have literally lost the ability to complete bids on 600+ homes, from Florida to
New Hampshire and more bidding opportunities coming in daily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phone not the issue

ProWallGuy said:
Well, I'd assume if you are bidding and/or capable of handling 600+ homes nationwide, somewhere in the business plan or proposals some money should be earmarked for a phone/long distance/nextel type system. Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are asking?
I guess I should have been more clear. Phone calls are killing me is more a pun than an issue, the supply of the homes is not an issue. I need easier, quicker access to contractors in other states, since it is not practical to be licensed in all 50 states. I supply a product people want and it's growing fast; but I need Licensed Contractors ready and willing to work. Which brings me back to what I need help on; finding an easier solution for finding and contacting the Contractors I need for each state requesting project bids; From single home to 300 home developments.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dont think you'll find an easier way to contact them than the telephone. If its the cost of the calling thats an issue Id suggest either digital phone from the cable company or Vonage. Digital phone from Roadrunner costs 39.95/month with no long distance charges (though not available at my address yet) and Vonage is the same type of thing at 24.99/month + equipment (my Vonage router cost like 60 bucks). Just making the switch has saved my household alone about $125/mo in charges (lotta family out of state) so I could imagine it would save a business like yours a whole bundle more.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
So I think you are saying you need to find a way to find contractors out there to be able to contact instead of cold calling around or using phone books with a hit and miss method.

I'm not sure if there are lists per say of qualified contractors for specific areas. Most of us are looking for the same thing, only for customers. Maybe you could try to use association directories, like the HBA or NARI registers.

Am I getting any closer? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ProWallGuy said:
So I think you are saying you need to find a way to find contractors out there to be able to contact instead of cold calling around or using phone books with a hit and miss method.

I'm not sure if there are lists per say of qualified contractors for specific areas. Most of us are looking for the same thing, only for customers. Maybe you could try to use association directories, like the HBA or NARI registers.

Am I getting any closer? ;)
Right on Target. The problem has been having to cold call, the hit and miss thing. Need more reliable source to contact for listings. Customers are no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrong

AAPaint said:
OH, I get it now. You work for a lead service or something and want US to tell you how to contact us to sell your service to us? Hmmm.......can't help ya, hehe! :cheesygri
I am a Materials Supplier and need contractors to build what people want to order. I supply the Contractor and the Contractor builds the home. get it!!!
I can supply and send nationwide, but it doesn't do much good if there isn't anyone in that area to build what I send.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Way to go AA! Why do these guys call and pretend to be your long lost good buddy? How many contractors fall for that line and actually buy something? Must be enough because they keep doing it to me , but I haven't bought anything yet!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Contractor Mentality

GMW said:
Way to go AA! Why do these guys call and pretend to be your long lost good buddy? How many contractors fall for that line and actually buy something? Must be enough because they keep doing it to me , but I haven't bought anything yet!
Is this the mentality of all Contractors. I pay lead services major $'s and receive more bid opportunities in a week than you'll get in a year.
Trying to get legitimate info and serious converstation for ideas and I get clowns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you

ProWallGuy said:
Try what I said, lists of organization members.
If you can buy a list of contractors, I don't know of it.
Thank you for the input; have already been trying to pull the registry up on the computer. If you have been keeping up on the messages, it should give you a good idea of what I run into on a daily basis. I wish we could at least put our url's on our messages so others wouldn't have to show their ignorance.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
ggrimm said:
Is this the mentality of all Contractors. I pay lead services major $'s and receive more bid opportunities in a week than you'll get in a year.
Trying to get legitimate info and serious converstation for ideas and I get clowns.
Umm okay..I can pay an assload and have as many leads as I want. That's a non-issue for me seeing as I'm busy all the time anyway. Yes, contractors tend to get tired of being solicited. If you were one of us, you would understand our animosity when we smell a solicitor.

So, you're talking a turn-key deal for contractors? You supply the materials, the customers, and handle all the headaches, and they just build it? Maybe you should be looking at targeted mailing lists or something of that sort. How do you coordinate a project from across the country though? I'd love that, I'll just call back in a week and say "it's all done, send my check!" The logistics of what you are suggesting are startling. How will you know you've got a good contractor doing good work if you'll never be there to see it? At some time or another you'll have to personally check on the work being performed, or have a trusted, knowledgeable person from your company in each area to inspect the work right??

What about a website and online advertising? If you're looking to reach a nationwide audience things like this would be a great way to go. I understand what it is you'e trying to accomplish....but I don't know if it's even possible, and I'm quite curious how "remote building" could even work...Sorry I can't offer more, but I'm curious to hear how something like this works.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
ggrimm... you've got a tough row to hoe with contractors. I know that perspective homeowners WANT SIPS, but I don't know any contractors that are jumping up and down wanting to build with them. Granted, it is a superior system in many respects. If you've stick built all your career, it's tough to convince a guy that he can make money using a new (to him) construction system, isn't it?

I know that doesn't even address your original question, but it was just an observation of mine. Just thought maybe I could learn something from you about 'selling the SIP system to contractors' and how you approach that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
25+ years in construction

AAPaint said:
Umm okay..I can pay an assload and have as many leads as I want. That's a non-issue for me seeing as I'm busy all the time anyway. Yes, contractors tend to get tired of being solicited. If you were one of us, you would understand our animosity when we smell a solicitor.

So, you're talking a turn-key deal for contractors? You supply the materials, the customers, and handle all the headaches, and they just build it? Maybe you should be looking at targeted mailing lists or something of that sort. How do you coordinate a project from across the country though? I'd love that, I'll just call back in a week and say "it's all done, send my check!" The logistics of what you are suggesting are startling. How will you know you've got a good contractor doing good work if you'll never be there to see it? At some time or another you'll have to personally check on the work being performed, or have a trusted, knowledgeable person from your company in each area to inspect the work right??

What about a website and online advertising? If you're looking to reach a nationwide audience things like this would be a great way to go. I understand what it is you'e trying to accomplish....but I don't know if it's even possible, and I'm quite curious how "remote building" could even work...Sorry I can't offer more, but I'm curious to hear how something like this works.
I have been in Construction for 25+ years; but kept an open mind to better opportunities. In turn I have found a unique niche; I now work smarter instead of harder. mdskunk is on track and understands. As to building across country that's not a problem. In fact we do have someone on site during delivery to inspect product and help contractor if the need arises. Once building is dried-in our job is complete (usually 4 days max.) It doesn't take rocket science to figure out. The GC has control of the project just as he would on any other project. He's building and completing the home as usual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Dead On

mdshunk said:
ggrimm... you've got a tough row to hoe with contractors. I know that perspective homeowners WANT SIPS, but I don't know any contractors that are jumping up and down wanting to build with them. Granted, it is a superior system in many respects. If you've stick built all your career, it's tough to convince a guy that he can make money using a new (to him) construction system, isn't it?

I know that doesn't even address your original question, but it was just an observation of mine. Just thought maybe I could learn something from you about 'selling the SIP system to contractors' and how you approach that.
I'm glad someone out there is paying attention. You've hit the nail on the head. What you may currently know about SIP's , I'm about 6 jumps ahead.
Would really like to talk. could you email me [email protected]
and I deeply apologize for misspelling your handle, didn't have my readers on and hit the wrong key.. Again I apologize.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts