Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
First time doing a forum. I am an electrician in Louisiana and just recently got my license for pools. I am new to having to bid and estimate pool jobs and am not sure how it typically is priced out. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Details and specifics are awesome as well.

Thanks in advance,
Klein

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Klein. First, can you explain what you mean by ''I'm a electrician and got my license for pools''? I don't think there is such a thing here in Florida.

Second, there is now way anyone could answer that question. Too many variables. You run power to the equipment. How much for materials and labor for starters.

I would think/hope you already have an idea what the cost should be.

This may get shut down.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Although profit is actually a divided decimal this will work for a start. Loaded labor includes overhead.

((materials + material markup) + loaded labor) + profit = job price
The parenthesis around materials and markup are unnecessary, since it doesn't matter what order you add and subtract.

It would matter if it were mixed multiplication and addition, but only if the addition had to be performed first.

Order of operations: PEMDAS Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.

A + B x C is the same as A + (B x C), but not the same as (A + B) x C.

:laughing:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Pools are a cash cow in my area, but also a limited cash cow, here you only have 4-5 months to utilize them, and not much more time to actually install them. And people pay a fortune for the landscaping that goes around them.

So not that my answer helps, but the perceived profit on a pool is huge, until you realize the short time frame to make it in, divided out by 12 months and it's not that special…so have something else to do in the off season

·
Registered
929 Posts
The parenthesis around materials and markup are unnecessary, since it doesn't matter what order you add and subtract.

It would matter if it were mixed multiplication and addition, but only if the addition had to be performed first.

Order of operations: PEMDAS Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.

A + B x C is the same as A + (B x C), but not the same as (A + B) x C.

:laughing:
True. Although not written that way material markup is often often a multiplier.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
True. Although not written that way material markup is often often a multiplier.
Yes, but the way he did it was just adding the material with markup already applied - and you still wouldn't need parenthesis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts