Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pick up a small bottle of Spray-Nine and give it a try. Depending on the source of the black stain, it should just melt away. Rinse with a hose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have not tried it on aluminum, but I am extremely impressed with Simple Green. We buy the concentrate and dilute it ourselves. It has cleaned everything we have tried it on. It even cleaned old paint off brick better than muriatic acid.

Sounds like a commercial, but the stuff is great.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I hit it with a bleach first to remove the mold then any faint streaks that are left can be removed with a good degreaser like “purple power” from your local auto parts store or “Gutter Zap” from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sunbrite/guzap1ga.html

DO NOT let it sit to long or you will remove the paint. You may also have to lightly brush if the stains are bad.

There is a lot of good info about gutter streaks, (and other hard to remove stains), on the power washing forums.

Best of luck,

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
www.midmohandyman.com

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
If the customer wants the gutters to "look like new" after pressure washing, I use a product called LAs totally awesome orange. Makes the gutters appear new again. I bought this stuff at a dollar general for a buck on a whim....works great. However the new gutter look cost extra as you have to spray it directly on the gutters.

·
Registered
960 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I always thought those black stains (little black dots) were some type of oxidation. I've never been able to remove them completely.

Po Wall,

The black spots and patches on fascia, soffit and exterior gutters usually rinse right off completely with a bleach, water and cascade mix in a bug sprayer, or the way I prefer, using a 12 volt Sure-Flo pump with 100’ of hose and sprayer end, then clean water rinse.

It’s the faint black streaks left after cleaning on the front of the exterior gutters troughs that are a PITA. These will develop even when the gutters are completely clean inside and only a degreasing agent will remove them. Some say that it is tar leaching from the shingles.

donb1959

This is ripped straight from my power washing contract, maybe you can use part of it in yours.

Owner understands and agrees that Contractor will make its best effort to remove stains such as bug droppings, spider webs, artillery fungus, gutter streaks or excessive leakage from siding and soffit weep holes. These stains may not be completely removed during the cleaning process without hand scrubbing or drying and some stains may not come off at all. Hand scrubbing, drying or other drastic measures during or after the pressure washing process will cost extra and will be at the owner’s request and expense.

Jesse R. Kirchhoff
Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you guys recommend any product that will clean the outside of the gutter? (Housing) This 3-year-old gutter has black stains all over it. I need some sort of chemical solution that will bring that back new again. Maybe some sort of aluminum cleaner?
I have had that same exact problem so I asked a few local contractors what they do. One of them told me about a guy that has a patented product about to kick off in 3-09. He said I could find out more about it at Marxoff.com so I checked it out and I am going to get one as soon as you can purchase them. The tool is made like a gutter and uses lambswool that you dip in an industrial cleaner and stand on the ground without having to use a ladder. It looks like it does a good job. I will let you guys know how it works. If anyone buys one let me know also. Thanks, Brian

·
Trust but verify
41 Posts
I was always told that simple green is not supposed to be used on aluminum. :sad:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I know the stains referred to. I think Ken or someonje suggested Gutter Grenade? I would not think Simple Green would touch them. Hope I learned something today.

P.S. The gallon I have gives a ratio for aluminum, etc..

I have never put much faith in SG. If it will get those streaks that look baked into gutter finish, I will change my mind.

·
Banned
395 Posts
I try to use Simple green on everything first and then move to the harsher stuff...Simple green might just be the very first "green" product!

And "little" black spots does sound like oxidation...aluminum does that very quickly in direct sun light and with moisture. It's normal wear and tear and it won't come off!

·
153 Posts
Gutter genade works well for removing the "tiger stripes" from gutters most of the time. For really tough stains, oven cleaner works. Keep in mind that the warmer the weather, the better most cleaning chemicals work. In temperatures below 50 degrees you will need to let the chemical sit longer and will require more scrubbing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys,
Those streaks are caused by electrstatic bonding. Because the paint has been stretched during the extrding of the gutter (bending) when being formed from the back of the truck. Because the paint is stretched, it allows ingredients from roof run off to permeate through the paint, this is what makes it so stubborn. To remove these streaks, you must think about the ph of your product. Use something on the alkalai side of the scale. y-100 is very good. I will get the manufacturer out to you asap. However, coldness will create difficulties beyong the norm. If you are like me, in the northeast, you'll find that the cool mornings make it tougher to clean these streaks (use a hot water machine). good luck

·
Error Corrector
141 Posts
I've had pretty good results with 'Scrubbing Bubbles' type cleaners. They tend not to run off as quickly as liquid cleaners.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts