Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find someone to run a new gas line for a kitchen stove, and I've now had multiple places tell me they won't do it unless I have the stove. I'm totally befuddled by this, since it is part of a complete basement remodel, so there's no drywall or anything up yet.

If I had a spec/install sheet for the stove I plan on getting, would that be sufficient? It's going to have to be capped off anyway until the walls and such go up. Is it a question of supply line being sized for properly for the stove, like putting in a basic $400 stove vs. the $6000 48" pro model?

Also, any code issues w/ putting a gas stove in a basement apartment? I haven't seen anything specifically, but I may not be looking in the right spots.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
What I believe you are seeing is the plumber need to know the BTUs of the unit you want to install. It's important that to sizing of the new lines and more importantly if the existing lines can supply the existing fixtures plus the new stove. An added stove has the possibility of creating a starving issues to the existing appliances on the old gas line. Finding out what exactly what the BTUs will be of the new stove or at least what the maximum BTUs would be even if you end up putting in a smaller BTU using stove should solve the issue.

There are definitly code issues, and one big one maybe the problem that adding a stove to a basement remodel in some jurisdictions can only be done if the property is zone for multi-family. I have run into that in basement remodels where you can add everything right up to a stove before you run into this issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds reasonable, one of them (well, the receptionist) did mention that, but she couldn't explain it at all, she just said "something about BTUs."

I know what you're talking about on the multi-family issue, and I am okay where I live, so that fortunately isn't a problem. I was most concerned with if there was a possible issue with needing a direct vent to the outside or not. It seems like I have found a lot of conflicting statements on this. I could do it, but it would be somewhere between a bit of a pain and a HUGE pain. I was hoping that a m'wave over the stove w/ a filtered air-recirculation fan would be okay. The kitchen and adjacent living room area (no wall in between) do have windows if that matters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey

2 things...

You don't have to have external venitilation for a lp/gas stove the only prob you will definately have is that if you cook something smokey or burn something. It will be sort of a dissaster cause those filter fans don't do much for large amounts of smoke. Especially since you don't have any windows down there. Thats were a external vent would earn every penny of the effort it took to install. (you can hook those microwaves up to a vent pipe and make theme external)

2nd, most folks that hook that stuff up want to make the connection to the appliance from the gas in 1 swoop. They don't want to risk being liable for a leaky gas line. Moreover, I agree there's definately something to be said for the amount of gas that your stove will need. There are many diff models and are duel fuel *gas range/ electric stove* and some are smaller than others in there output. So it makes a difference. No need to run 3/4 pipe if you only need 1/4 inch if you know what I mean.

hope that helps
/donny

·
Registered
4 Posts
You did not define natural or LP gas. Lp gas will never be approved for install in basement. Specifically excluded for reason LP is heavier than air.

Current gas system most likely sized for existing appliances. A regular stove would add additional 40k BTU. Not much but could be an issue. Simple fix, tie in at meter, run a dedicated line.

As for venting, local issue on code. Stoves are excluded from requiring venting in IFGC and NFGC. General requirement for venting is; appliance is over 20 BTU per square foot of open area appliance sits in. Do the math on your open area and see what BTU loading is. Your problem is inspector may deem basement a confining space and then you will be putting in a vent AND a source for outside air.

Good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts