Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Match the front reveal around the other 3 sided buildout. G.PS, on second look, i might be concerned about the load bearing down on that small portion of that colomn. G

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts
Gene, I was thinking that hopefully this is a ranch with cantilevered trusses that bear only on the house wall. If not, your concern about bearing is not only valid, but frightening.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I say box the entire length for an even reveal.
Small bump outs would look like an after thought.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
How about a faux beam from the house?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Surely they can't be bearing
or the capitals would be tilted.
Hopefully non bearing, If they are fiberglass columns, the edge of the column could catch the edge of the header, the capital is usually fypon, and just slides up into place and gets glued and tacked so i could remain level. G

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Gene, I was thinking that hopefully this is a ranch with cantilevered trusses that bear only on the house wall. If not, your concern about bearing is not only valid, but frightening.
The front elevation looks like traditional framing, not sure, hope its a cantilevered truss. G

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I have no idea what is holding this up. there is brick on the wall above so either they bricked around the joists or bolted through to othe band. The capitals are tilted and it looks like the column is barely catching the beam.

Judging from the size of the columns above it appears that there is another roof above look above each column

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Maybe just the two end ones are bearing?
Looks like the should be bearing the deck,
but there was some serious miscommunication
about the masonry. :w00t:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just the 2 end ones are load bearings, although i do agree that the middle column should be supporting the deck. Dunno what the masonry were smoking, but man what a mess.

The owners just want to cover the gap, so it doesn't scare off buyers. House is going for over 700k which was horribly constructed. The sad part is that they will eventually get their 700k for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts