Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello posters...

I am the owner of a specialized answering service that only works with clients within the building & construction industries. In the last few years, our client base was built from work of mouth advertising, direct mail, etc.

I am coinsidering various print advertising mediums but I would like to get some opinions of the people who read these industry publications i.e. your opinions on what the most informative publications are, most widely read, etc.

It is a shame but when you pose the same questions to the magazines themselves, every publication reaches the largest audience and gets the most positive feedback from its advertisers. Any input would be much appreciated.

Nick D'Alleva

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Print advertising for direct mail or for placement in magazines and newspapers?

The answer depends upon what your goal is and what's in your budget. If your budget is limitless, for conversation sake, This is what I would suggest: a classified add in the industry journal. An add that is in a fixed location about 1/4 of a page, usually in a section that has something to do with your service, like a business section. Another add identicle to the fixed add but it's randomly placed wherever they have room. Do all this for 6 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input!!

In a perfect world, our advertising budget would be limitless. Our company is in the type of position that for the quality of work we offer, the bulk of our money is better spent on salary, bonuses, and training than on pricey advertising. I think i'm more looking for a 1-2 month push in the right publication more as an experiment.

Grumpy said:
Print advertising for direct mail or for placement in magazines and newspapers?

The answer depends upon what your goal is and what's in your budget. If your budget is limitless, for conversation sake, This is what I would suggest: a classified add in the industry journal. An add that is in a fixed location about 1/4 of a page, usually in a section that has something to do with your service, like a business section. Another add identicle to the fixed add but it's randomly placed wherever they have room. Do all this for 6 months.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I would recommend finding a good website that targets contractors and buying an banner ad....hmmmm... who could that be ;)

One a more serious note an industry journal would be a good choice although expensive. I would also recommend looking into Google's Adwords program. You can get some great leads there for real cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on it...

thanks for the tips!! i'll check out the google program.

Nathan said:
I would recommend finding a good website that targets contractors and buying an banner ad....hmmmm... who could that be ;)

One a more serious note an industry journal would be a good choice although expensive. I would also recommend looking into Google's Adwords program. You can get some great leads there for real cheap.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I just finished the sign up process for my adwords compaign. I completed overture a few days ago. People always talk about google but forget overture. Overture has been around alot longer than google's Adwords. I use both, because if you use only one you are limiting yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ad word fiesta

I love the concept of google's ad words but I'm not sure if google is as widely used a search engine as say yahoo. I believe overture is affiliated with yahoo somehow. I absoultely agree with you to occupy two fronts with an advertising battle.

Grumpy said:
I just finished the sign up process for my adwords compaign. I completed overture a few days ago. People always talk about google but forget overture. Overture has been around alot longer than google's Adwords. I use both, because if you use only one you are limiting yourself.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Overture was selling adds to yahoo and yahoo liked them so much they bought em. To be honbest I get more hits from google than I do from yahoo, but I don't see the point in limiting yourself to only one. That's like cuttong off your left hand because you still have a right hand anyway. Duh! With two hands you can do more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like my hands!! i think i am going the ad word route but I am trying to think of some keywords.

we also have a sister company that only answers for hvac professionals and i am trying to generate some keywords for that too...i have ruled out "answering service" because a. amazingly expensive and b. not specific enough for our audience.

you have given some great advise so far, i am trying to think like a contractor and an hvac professional now...what do people in those respective industries look for as for on the internet in dealing with their business.

Grumpy said:
Overture was selling adds to yahoo and yahoo liked them so much they bought em. To be honbest I get more hits from google than I do from yahoo, but I don't see the point in limiting yourself to only one. That's like cuttong off your left hand because you still have a right hand anyway. Duh! With two hands you can do more.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
They have a keyword suggestion tool at both google and overture. You can noarrow down searches by trying things like

answering service for contractors
hvac answering service
roofers answering service
etc

If nobody clicks on your keyword you don't lose anything, so make up as many keywords as you can think of and then make up some more. Another trick I like to do is mispell words on purpose. Youd be suprised how many people cant type/spell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts