Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some employees who are always needing picked up for work, they all have vehicles, but never gas money, since this takes time away from what I should be doing, should I or can I take money out of there check for fuel reimbursement? I obviously wouldn't charge them a lot, just enough to cover fuel.

What do you guys think? Do any of you have this problem or do this? I also want to add that they are very good employees.

Thanks in advance!

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I guess that depends on how good they are and what you pay them. If they are good they are worth the pay, more then enough for gas money. If your trying to screw good workers you should be glad they havent found a better job, you should pay them more so they have gas money.

If they are just being cheap and trying to loose some work time and save money then they probably arent good employees.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that depends on how good they are and what you pay them. If they are good they are worth the pay, more then enough for gas money. If your trying to screw good workers you should be glad they havent found a better job, you should pay them more so they have gas money.

If they are just being cheap and trying to loose some work time and save money then they probably arent good employees.
I think it is them being cheap, for my area, I pay them well, there is only two that do it, the rest of them have no problem with gas, and you would think, if you were needing a ride to work, and didn't have gas money you would find a way to get to work, instead of telling me oh well I don't have any gas money.

·
Banned
846 Posts
From where I sit you have 3 choices.

1. Be a pushover and play chauffer for your employees. Give them this inch and see how far the mile they'll take is. Pretty soon on the way home you'll be taking them grocery shopping, to doctors appointments in the middle of the workday, breakfast on the way in, etc.

2. Make it a requirement of the job that they provide their own transportation in (drive, walk, bicycle, bus, etc.) and be on time. 3 strikes and they're out. Lots of unemployed folks out there now.

3. Provide company trucks and fuel cards. This will increase your overhead. Can you raise your prices to justify this?

Reactions: CScalf

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Id just tell them your getting behind on work because of it and you cant take them any more. If they dont come to work anymore you dont need them.

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
How many are we talking about, and how much extra time does it take each morning and afternoon to play chauffeur?

I know my responsibilities dont end when everyone else goes home.. I spend a few extra hours each day doing paperwork, estimates, phone calls, etc... Why should I waste even more of my time picking guys up who have the ability to drive themselves?

Are they worth an extra $30/wk in their paychecks to cover gas? I'm not a slave driver kind of boss, I like to have fun at work, but sometimes you just have to put your foot down... Sorry, but playing chauffeur to employees because they cant save $30 for gas just sounds ludicrous to me.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many are we talking about, and how much extra time does it take each morning and afternoon to play chauffeur?

I know my responsibilities dont end when everyone else goes home.. I spend a few extra hours each day doing paperwork, estimates, phone calls, etc... Why should I waste even more of my time picking guys up who have the ability to drive themselves?

Are they worth an extra $30/wk in their paychecks to cover gas? I'm not a slave driver kind of boss, I like to have fun at work, but sometimes you just have to put your foot down... Sorry, but playing chauffeur to employees because they cant save $30 for gas just sounds ludicrous to me.
2 one it's not so bad, he lives in my town, the other is a half hour one way, but I am not going to do it for one and not the other and hear a bunch of whining, so I am going to tell them either you can save the money for gas, b. not come to work that day (which will count against you) c. your fired. make them choose

I just don't know what options I have, I also had a guy run out of smokes one day, so I ended up needing some myself, I said you got any money on you? he said no, I said ok, left came back brought him a pack of smokes, when he got his check that week he bitched cuz i took out the exact amount of the smokes, I said wtf? you got smokes were happy about it, now why would I pay for your habit out of my money? he shut up really quick after that.

man this shiit pisses me off:furious:

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
man this shiit pisses me off
Yep, it should...

I just don't know what options I have,
Yes, you do.. you already said it, you just need to grow a pair and act on it... (sorry, I mean that in a nice way :thumbup: )

you can save the money for gas, b. not come to work that day (which will count against you) c. your fired.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
You are making your business with employees a friendship. Don't get me wrong, I socialize with my guys for a couple beers once in a while, but work is work, Unless we are out of town working they take their own vehicles, even when out of town they usually take their own and I pay for fuel. I don't have time to be a taxi.

I've seen where everyone is like a convoy in the morning, 4 vehicles in row leaving Napa and going to Sonoma, work the day and repeat going home.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
C. Take offense if you want, but here it is. You sound like someone who just left the ranks and is now the boss. You know what its like and sometimes feel sorry for them. Also, you are worrying about how to get things worked if they quit or get fired. How and where will you find the next guy and will he be good enough? That's no way to run a business. (Ask me how I know). You may have learned how to swing a hammer but you haven't learned how to run a business.

Give them the 3 strikes and you're out talk. They need to know they must get to work on time and consistently. The 2 slouches can carpool if times are that bad. Let this be the first real lesson on the road to eventual business success; that is if you do grow a set and act accordingly. Good luck.

·
Owner/craftsman
100 Posts
Toughen up.

Unfortunately you started it and now you have to end it. Needless to say you started picking them up and now you have to tell the guys that policy has got to change. There will probably be a temporary change in attitude for the worse but if they are good employees they will get over it. It will cause some stress for you but there can be no exceptions to the rules. As someone said earlier, you have to be the business owner, not them.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've always required that I get paid my time for transportation one way. I generally take the time from my house or the shop, which ever is less and add that to my hours. I do the same for my workers. I like this because I believe that you deserve to be paid for your time getting to the site, and I'm willing to pay for the time it takes to get from my shop to the site. If they want a ride, offer to give it to them from your shop. I wouldn't pick them up though, not unless its right on your way.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
If you feel sorry for them dont, you'll only destroy yourself and everything youve worked your whole life for.

My dad has a dumpy apartment building. He lets the welfare scum get months behind. I start yelling at him about it and he says well I just feel bad for them because they have nothing. They get $800 a month and have almost no bills to pay. Id be lucky if I worked a month and had $200 after everything is paid.

These guys could get to work, they are just like the renters, they want to see how far they can get. Next they will want a pay raise and a ride to work. How about 4 weeks paid vacation. Give them a inch they take a mile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.