Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GC/ Master Electrician
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im an electrician by trade here and not a roofer. I have some experiance with roofing though. I wanted to find out if durning a tear off and replace if you find nails popping up in the sheeting can you pound them in and add screws or will that cause the nails to still pop but the board not to move ripping the felt?

Thanks

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
If you find the 8d's sticking up, by all means drive em back in. If you're talking about roofing nails...I would pull 'em. Without a rafter to go into, they are more likely to pop again.

BTW, the felt is going to have holes in it anyway, so don't worry much about that. Concentrate more on getting the roof installed correctly.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You "can" pound them in but you shouldn't. I try to pull out as many as possible. The only ones I pound in are the ones who have lost their head. Think about it like this... The more nails in your roof the more chance for fastener backout. After pulling out all the loose nails, inspect the wood to make sure it's not loose and add sinker nails as necessary.

Why is it everyone thinks they are a roofer?

·
GC/ Master Electrician
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much. Its my fathers house. He is getting up there in age now and dosnt have the money to hire the roof done. I have 3 brothers and sister but get no help from them. I drove 700 miles to replace every water pipe in the house and do his roof. I have done a few roofs in the past but never one this old. The nails popped and had me a bit puzzled. I figured if I added screws it would just mean the nails would pop again only without the board moveing with them. This seemed like something I needed to avoid. Of course he just say it will last as long as me no matter what. Oh and just for refrence you don't have to worry about me competing with you pros. This is tough work and being a diabetic it just is plane hard. :cheesygri

·
Registered
156 Posts
Grumpy oh yeah this is another one of the problems we run into here in Minnesota since there are so many contractors in the area. Most people know somebody who knows somebody. No offense Ken.
Upon call back "oh i think we are just going to do it ourselves". I even get the "can you come out and answer a few questions i will pay you 50 bucks."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts