Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for some feedback on a major disagreement i had today with with my supervisor and the homeowner today. i see a major issue and my integrity as a tradesman didnt allow me to overlook it or even continue work on the site. im sure my position has also been compromised.

the home owner is an investor that has multiple properties both rentals and flip houses as well as owning a real estate company and a mortgage office. when i came on board i was told things were only done properly.

the house we just started is well over 100 years old. when i first saw the house i noticed the main beam had several cracks throughout the whole beam. there was also a major dip in the floor. all the support posts were logs. the house has been remodeled and added on to several time so joists have been cut and modified as well as the beam. right off the bat i suggested an engineer needed to look at it and have a new beam made. i was told there was no need for a new beam. they wanted me to set jack posts under the beam and raise it. after doing what i was told to do the beam began cracking more and and twisting. i can put my fingers 1/4 of the way in the cracks. also i put a 16 in the crack and it disappeared. when i said i wouldnt continue work until this was addressed. the owner proceed to come in this morning and tell me in front of everone that that beam was perfectly sound and there were no structural issues. this is just one of the issues i have seen. the long and short of it is that the beam is cracked 3/4 of the way through down the entire 35 ft span. i dont beleive this would pass any sort of inspection. not to mention thefoundation has been compromised. i am just wondering if this is acceptable anywhere. i cant in good conscious contine work for these people unless i know im completely wrong, which i highly doubt.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Depends how much you need a job. Its not your name on the product but your bosses. On the other hand, I have refused to do lots of jobs in the past which I didn't agree with. I have told lots of generals in the past that if they want it done that way, send over your own clowns, cause I wont do it. I have never lost a job over refusing to clown up some job. Build a reputation for quality work and work will find you. good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Would you let your mother live in the house? Call the local building authority. If they are up to snuff its all good, if not...?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
Welcome to the world of old houses. Whether the crack is a problem or not really depends on whether it runs horizontally or vertically.

Either way, jacking an old beam like that too much can over stress it / damage it.

Generally, I'd want an engineer to go over proposed structural repairs / conditions on an old house.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Never compromise your gut feel.

Can you snap a few pics for the framing guys here to look at?

You are taking the correct approach and if it costs you the relationship then so be it. Your noticed a potentially deadly problem and passed it on.

If it's all about being cheap, then you really don't need this guy. Kudos to you for stating your opinion!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the great replies so far. no i definately wouldnt let my mother live there, and i asked the goof ball supervisor the same question. it is most definitely about the owner saving money. his comment to me was, "we arent trying to sell the basement." thats when i quit talking, which is very odd because i have no problem voicing my opinions on a job site. the crazy thing is they sought me out to work for them. in the past two weeks or so i have . watched the owner and supervisor who is a licenced builder, completely disrespect me and the whole construction process. the funny thing is it will cost the owner more to rig it than to get it done right. in doing so they will be loosing half of their work force as all the guys on that site have the same opinion i do. i dont fear not having a job with them, i have walked off many jobs and went to work the next day. they got me because i walked off from a company that was doing shady stuff. i will definitely try to get some pics up, and thanks again for the reassurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts