Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story. I have started to build a spec house. I have all the financing I need to do one house. Since I started, I have had several inquiries about me building a home for others. So, I started and LLC, with advice from my attorney and accountant. I have got my contractor license and bond. I have about 15 years in various construction phases, but they were all with subcontractors. I have never worked for a GC. I can build the houses, I can get the permits, I can get the subcontractors. I can run the work. I can deal with the bids and money issues, figuring time and materials and profit and overhead. I have customers interested. But I only have a basic knowledge of how the business is run.

My question is what kind of forms and contracts will I need to build for customers? (where can I get them?)

When should I (or if) should get an earnest agreement?

Any advice on the business side would be helpful. Thanks in advance...

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
There is a book out there that has about every construction contract you might need. I would have a attorney review the contracts. This way you don't need to pay for alot of hours.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Let me get this straight,

"I've got the money, I've got the truck, I've got the tools, I even have the best looking girl in town.........but.....what I need to know is .........where's my a$$.":cheesygri

Just a joke.:Thumbs:

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I guess I had that coming....:>)

I do have a little bit of understanding on the business side, just trying to cover all the bases before I jump in.

Stuff I know I need, Bid sheets, escrow agreement, contracts, subcontractor agreements, lein wavers.

Just not sure where to get them, when to use them, etc.

I just have no "experience" on the business side is a better way to put it.
I do have an attorney I can use but would rather have something for him to reveiw than to draft. He is expensive...
I will look for that book metioned above, but so far everything I found is pretty cheesy.

Anyway thanks for the input....

And I do know where my A$$ is, Its that place where my head is stuck at!!! :cheesygri

·
Business Consulting
268 Posts
There is a software called Socrates which provides lots of forms, contracts, lien waivers, and many others...they have forms for contractors, and other industries. check google...I don't know the cost, but I saw the program once. The forms are word docs I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the socrates stuff, they are very generic. I could type better stuff myself in about 20 minutes... I did not like it.

Thanks for the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts