Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new to the ct i need so help i own a small framing company and i got a little nissan truck and im tired of having to unload and load ever thing in the bed got a saddle tool box but it only fits the hand tools and my impact and drill need some ideas how to store my stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
c i thought about the cap and trailer but im leaning more towards the cap but i just dont care to much for them cause when my old man ran the show thats what he used and i just hated crawling in to get what ever i need and it always seems to be clear in the front

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Vans work the best for framing in my opinion. On larger jobs, we usually have a gang box on site and store our cords/hoses/nails in there. We use a cable with a padlock for our picks and ladders. I have owned pick ups, vans, and box trucks. Never had a trailer. Just didn't see it working for our situation.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Okie has it with a shell. The pain is that you have to crawl in and out to get stuff. that's where a bed slide/pull out comes in handy. I worked out a Nissan hardbody for 7 years now I have a Chevy Express 3500 van. I miss the truck only for dump runs and 4x4, I don't miss having to crawl over all my chit to get what's up front. Check Craigslist for a deal, sometimes you can find them on there for free.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
How high is the top of the bed? If it's a 2wd older Nissan, about waist high at the bed rails, you can reach more than half way. Get a cap with doors on the side. I like caps that are flat with the top of the cab so you can mount ladder racks.

We have a roofing truck that has a ladder rack and crossbed box. Granted it's a Chev 3500 dually, but still - the crossbed holds a couple of saws, several nail guns, and several (small for roofers) nail bags with basic hand tools. And Javi's truck is a wreck - not well organized at all.

I'd bet with a little organization you could fit everything you need for a 4-6 man crew in a little nissan with a cap.

·
Manager/Diplomat/Builder
331 Posts
There is hope for your little truck! I drive a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma for work, I have a lumber rack and canopy with flip up windows on all 3 sides. I do remodel work and am always loaded up with almost any tool you'd need to use from demo to finish trim. There are some things I only carry when I need them for sure. I have long arms and can reach/unload/load everything from the outside, almost no matter what. I also riveted hooks and tie straps up to the canopy frame(it's an aluminum top.) so I can hang air hose, extension cords, framing squares, extra saw blades, etc where they are out of the way. It took me a long time to figure out exactly how to load the things in my truck the most efficiently, but anyone could do it with a little thinking. Sometimes I wish I just did framing, I could skate through with my tool bags, drill/impact kit, air compressor/guns, hoses/cords and worm drive saw 90% of the time! I could drive a car at that point:laughing::laughing::laughing:.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,567 Posts
Put a sliding deck in the truck and put a cap on it. You just unlock and pull the deck out like a drawer and get what you need.

·
Registered
15,895 Posts
How much stuff does one need to frame?

I have a saddle box.
Contains: corded circular,multimaster,sawzall,drill/impact combo,jigsaw,24,32& 48" level,framing square,hacksaw, rotorzip, a couple of cords,clamps, 3 hand tool organizers and a couple of pouches. The top tray has holes saws,drill bit cases, step flashing & other stuff.

I could loose a few of these tools in place of nails guns if I were a regular framer. I think you need a bigger truck than a Nissan. A van is obviously more storage but I like driving a pick up and having the bed for debris and other stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just took a couple scrape piece of t11 form the sight and ran a 2x4 up each side so it wouldnt slide around that way all my tools are covered and if i need to haul any mat it only takes a sec to tear down on site

1 - 17 of 17 Posts