Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody..My name is greg..My company has a chute cleaning service that we use to clean trash chutes in apartment buildings.

We use a spinning spindle with two 15 degree nozzles that we send up and down the chute..

A few weeks ago we did a 6 story building here in NYC but the super complains about a smell.I found that the smell is actually mold as it seems the previous super had a water leak that he didnt repair right away..

So i was sent out for the estimate and to authorize the warranty to redo the job..This was after the president went and gave his word that we would clean the room.

So ive noticed some mold on the ceiling sheetrock and told the guy that he needed to cut that out and replace it..Now i just need to know what can i get available from Grainger or aramsco and jad for the local NYC guys to clean this room and help prevent the smell.

We use a deoderizer from jad(a local NYC company) but im thinking of a spray down with bleach, amonia, pine, and some form of brick and block cleaner, followed by scrubbing with deck brushes and then wash down with hot steam from our pressure washer..

Not sure if this will work and would like some insight on this from guys that has done it before..We just clean brick and metal chutes of resido from garbage..The steam seems to work for us alone so im outta my league here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
You are correct for the drywall covered mould, it needs to be removed completely. Now, what is behind the drywall? are the studs contaminated with mould? insulation? If in a residential area it should be removed by a licensed mould remediation technician - there is just to much liability with mould in the US - lawsuit upon lawsuit. If you start removing it you will become liable. As for the mould in the chute, don't use anything other than approved chemicals for mould remediation. NEVER use bleech, it is water based and will only contribute to the mould problem.

I rarely use chemicals but if I have to I use a mould inhibitor/killer called Benefect - great stuff and non toxic, can drink the stuff if you had to. Another good product comes from Fosters (they make paint products as well). Benefect has a scent added to it...might help in your situation.

http://www.benefect.com/ --- you would want the disinfectant
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top