Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting up my own millwork business and was wondering if someone out there could give a starting point on what to charge for jobs such as hanging molding and trim, hagning slat wall, etc.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,573 Posts
When it comes to things like that, you need to figure how much trim you can hang/install in an hour. Add an hour for setup and cleanup. Now figure how much you want to make per hour (Typically $50). Add in your overhead, insurance truck payment etc...

My carpenter sub installed about 200 lf of base board and base shoe for about $1 per lf. I supplied the materials. Little jobs like that are basically time and material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Grumpy said:
When it comes to things like that, you need to figure how much trim you can hang/install in an hour. Add an hour for setup and cleanup. Now figure how much you want to make per hour (Typically $50). Add in your overhead, insurance truck payment etc...

My carpenter sub installed about 200 lf of base board and base shoe for about $1 per lf. I supplied the materials. Little jobs like that are basically time and material.
:eek: 200 LF for $200..... I hope it was a 50x50 room...lol We operate in central New Jersey and do a lot of crown, shadow box, door surrounds etc. Occasionally, we are asked to replace builders 3 1/2 base with a larger 5 1/8 base and shoe. We are a smaller company which is owned and operated as a partnership. When we figure our estimates, we abide by the same $50/hr rule, but it’s for each man. We add an hour for set up / break down, cost of materials and a small percent for overhead. Depending on the number of inside/outside and scarf joints, our estimates for running base and shoe are almost always over $200, not including materials.

We are getting close to 80% of all our estimates with the remaining 20% being first generation foreigners. Seems that there is a large population of Indian / Asian people who live in millon dollar homes that will ask you to break down and quote a dozen different jobs and think ANY price is too high. But then again, I'll save those frustrations for another post.

JD Molding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,573 Posts
3 different rooms; lotsa cuts, he also threw in some thresh hold. He is a sub that works for us all the time for other crap and this is my own house so he gave me what I consider to be a deal.

Definetly when I bid small jobs it's $50 per man per hour. Add that to the cost of the materials, include the travel time to pick up the materials or the delivery fee of the materials. Yes add an hour for setup and cleanup.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top