Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had a roomate toss out some older items i had stored and said they were lighning damaged.is there a way he could have blew these up.i had one guy say that he could hook them up to a something and do it.is there any real way to make an item appear to been hit by lightning????as other items were not affected so im curious.i have a few of the items and was wondering if he could have easily blown these up?like hooking two positives to plug or something???i know alittle about electrical but not that much!

thanks in advance for any help. if anyone has some answers i have a few more questions to pick your brain over!!!!thanks!!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
If they were stored, I'm assuming they weren't plugged in, correct?

Unless they took a direct hit, lightning couldn't damage them.

But what the hëll do I know? I'm just a lowly electrician. Try asking ARealplumber... he knows everything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some were in use.....is there a way...easy....that he could have done anything....im more curious than mad at this point.ins.paid for some

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,804 Posts
It can be pretty difficult to tell whether any damage is due to lightning or some form of [electrical] sabotage, because lightning does whatever the heck it wants to. It might just pop a fuse, or it could completely bypass the fuse, leaving it intact, while other circuits in the device are completely fried.

As far as whether he could have damaged them by connecting them incorrectly, there's no way we could even guess without knowing exactly what devices you're talking about.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
some were in use.....is there a way...easy....that he could have done anything....im more curious than mad at this point.ins.paid for some
He night have easily just hooked everything up to 240volts.

The place they were plugged into may have had a loose neutral and causes more than 120v to get sent to them.

My may have been playing around with a Megohmmeter.

Who knows..... unless he confesses, it's gonna be 'pert near impossible to prove anything.

Oh, wait, ask ARealplumber..... he knows everything!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
If you think he did it he probably did. Pop him in the nose, it'll make you feel better even if he's innocent.
The only 'pop' I think a Texan could make is with a .38.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts