Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...quick.......as quick as is possible for me.

Deck.....detached (by 3/4") from rented space....over older concrete driveway.....14x16....as low to grade as poss. Just met with the Inspector and found out I need 100lb live load......and I can't just block it up in lots of spots and send epoxied bolts into the existing slab. I'll need to cut and dig proper footings.....seems a bit excessive....but what do I know from decks? I can figure that chit out.....it's the aesthetics I want to get something on.

For an acquaintance.....James Beard Semi-Finalist chef (amazingly talented) opening a small restaurant and needs some outside seating.

I am trying to do this for almost nothing......his clients are my potential clients, and I love his food, so I am willing to eat some on this one and cram it into my schedule.

So far, straight PT (no time or $ for stain/color) ......
4x4 posts...panelized black hardware cloth railing sections....
Back (16')"railing" run being 6' + to hide outdoor mech's (maybe this is my place to add some intrigue and craftsmanship).

I need something to make it special...make it pop....that is cheap!

I am thinking of ripping some of the decking into 2 1/4" strips and running a 5 1/2"-2 1/4" pattern just for a little pizzaz.....

Black Timberlok(?) flat head lags to match the hardware cloth....

But I need something special.....I am at a loss.

Whaddya got?

I need to draw this thing tonight...or tomorrow...and get it in the hopper.

Thanks....as always....

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Offer to build a statue of James Beard by the deck, something like this.

That 100lb live load is probably a local ordinance. My inspector let me place pre-cast piers right on asphalt, but this was for a mobile home. I like the idea of using black Timberlocks. That's probably as far as you can go without spending money.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I would think that your details would be in the panels.

The frames should be routed with a profile that fits the design criteria, and add some stiles or designs into the field.

And your using this right? just so we are all 100% clear

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
This guy gave it a good shot.
Random google pic

Allot of room for improvement.
If you make your rails and post classy, then house your cloth in a frame that gets attached between posts....
Just don't make it like a chicken coop! LOL

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Offer to build a statue of James Beard by the deck, something like this.

That 100lb live load is probably a local ordinance. My inspector let me place pre-cast piers right on asphalt, but this was for a mobile home. I like the idea of using black Timberlocks. That's probably as far as you can go without spending money.
:clap::laughing::thumbup::laughing:

Building Inspector claims 100psf because it falls under "Assembly Area" under ADA.....

Which also means <1:12 ramp slope....which means I can't get above 10-12" above grade with my allowable ramp space.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm surprised at how few interesting images I found doing a Google search.

I am thinking for the back 6' high wall section......

Maybe I will frame it post and beam style and suspend corrugated roof panels within the frames to block visibility. Suppose I should stay away from galvanized unless we paint them (solar collectors/deflectors). Maybe the opaque plastic sheets?

The place is called "The Shack".....so chicken coop chic is somewhat fitting.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You could try ripping thin strips of cedar and weaving them through the grid to make a pattern. I don't know how the cedar will stand up over time but I think the grid will keep it from moving too much and it should drain well enough to avoid rot.

I'm not talking about filling every square, btw. I was thinking of a border.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
You could try ripping thin strips of cedar and weaving them through the grid to make a pattern. I don't know how the cedar will stand up over time but I think the grid will keep it from moving too much and it should drain well enough to avoid rot.

I'm not talking about filling every square, btw. I was thinking of a border.
Could spell out "shack" with the weavings

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Outdoor restaurant seating? Focus on making it functional and clean-able or replaceable, with places for the restaurant owner to place or install lighting and art, or canvas banners or murals, or other artistic or stylistic elements.

Edit: I'd also put some thinking into how spills onto/through the deck get cleaned up, stuff like that. Rats love those spaces, and I'd put more thought into dealing with them than into some of the more decorative aspects of the space. My opinion, anyway.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Draw something on the napkin and scan so we can understand wtf you trying to say, unless you want to end up with something like this

Attachments

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have it all designed.

PT everything....

A couple of the design features.

Galvanized hardware cloth as the railing panels for the handrail height sections.

Galvanized corrugated roofing panels hung vertically for the "Back" (7') Wall between (3) 4' sections framed post and beam style with PT 4x4's.
I am thinking about etching the galvanized panels and trying to stain them. I want to make them look weathered, but instead of rusty streaks, make them seem weathered in color.

I am also going to rip some of the decking in half to create a repeating pattern of 2full, 1half, 2full......etc.

Using silvered oak from my barn to cap all the rail sections/make handrails, and making some matching post caps, as well as a "barn door" on the Back Wall.

A couple problems though.......

This charity/community-building stuff is turning into the classic "no good deed goes unpunished" thing.

The Building Inspector is driving me nuts on it. I guess he is just doing his job, but it seems a little excessive. Really not him....my fault for trying to build a $7K deck for $4K.....and shoe-stringing it.

I am no math whiz, and I am having trouble trying to prove the 100psf requirement w/o a stamp (which the owner can not afford (he can't even afford me)). I've had a hard time finding tables for the 100psf requirement online, so I had to figure out how to do all the math, and be able to show him clearly how I arrived there.

This thing will be ....maybe ....2" above grade at one corner, and I will have to cut through the concrete driveway and dig/pour at least (4) footings........maybe (6) since he is questioning the existing footings that have supported this brick structure for countless decades and are exposed for 18".

Getting tired of trying to do so much with so little. Got at least a full day in it already. At least I'm learning a bit of the math involved.

(I have it all drawn and scanned except for the Back Wall View, I'll throw it up later)

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Registered
Remodel
29,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,798 Posts
I never understood giving freebies or discounted prices to another business. If they can't afford something then they can't afford it. Now if you write in your contract that he owes you x number of meals then ok. Still that's a chance cause the business may fail before you collect.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
This charity/community-building stuff is turning into the classic "no good deed goes unpunished" thing....Really not him....my fault for trying to build a $7K deck for $4K.....and shoe-stringing it.
Your punishment will be that your friend will recommend you to everyone who wants a really nice $4K deck.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: hdavis

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Your punishment will be that your friend will recommend you to everyone who wants a really nice $4K deck.
I hear you man.

But.....the deal is:
I love his food.
He is a very talented guy that I want to support.
My little town could use another great restaurant.
His clientele is "my" clientele.....the fine dining crowd.
and.....
He will be subsidizing the build with free meals (which I will undoubtedly be eating regardless, so in a way, it's a decent trade off)

Oh.....and the kicker....
anyone who wants a $4k deck in the future (based on his referral or not), can kiss the dark side of my a$$.

Whether it's a young couple that I'm making a sideboard for as a wedding present, or an old guy whose roof I repair for a cup of coffee; they don't always have to pay the big bucks. I have room in my life for a little love. (Especially since I just sold a dining room table to a very famous interior designer for............real good chedda!:clap:)

I really do appreciate the cautionary advice, but I'm no babe in the woods. (Maybe I shouldn't bit(h?......but what are you guys good for then?)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts