Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wired a storage building I just bought. For now I have all four 120v/15amp outlets and two lights wired with a pig tail that I plug a cord into to put power to the building. What I would like to do is straight wire it. I plan on putting a 120v/20 amp outlet in when I do this for a 110v welder I am fixen to buy. I will run the 120v/20 amp outlet on a breaker by itself. I just don't know how I should do the rest of the outlets and the lights. I thought about putting the three 120v/15 amp outlets on a 15 amp breaker and the switch & outlet on another 15 amp breaker. Is this the way it should be done? When I wired the building I used 12-2 wired wich is rated for 20 amps, my outlets are rated at 15 amps, do I need to use a 15 or 20 amp breaker on these? Any advise would be helpfull. Thanks for the help. I have added a drawing to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can put all three outlets and both lights on a 15 amp circuit. what you should consider is what you're using these receptacles for. If they're just for basic power, for radios, coffee pots, occasional skill saw, etc. you probably won't draw 15 amps. It is permisable to put this all on a 20 amp breaker because you're wire size is up to par, you will not be drawing 20 amps at any given receptacle so they will be ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
quick and dirty

I built a shed 8x16 and have about 26 receptacles in it without wiring any of it.

I used two power strips one 12 receptacle one with 10.
The larger one has a long plug on it that reaches the gfi that is on the house and I pluged the 10 into the 12.

Both strips have builtin breakers and the gfi protects everything. If I were to wire the shed for anything other than this I would put in 220vac. otherwise this serves all my needs.
As it is protected by three breakers I am confortable with it and it is inexpensive to install.

U

·
0 Posts
If the building is seperate from the house you must run a minimum of 10/2 wg. Put a small sub panel in the building, run the receptacles and lights off a 20 amp gfi breaker. Use 12/2 wg and receptacles rated at 20 amps. Put in a designated circuit for your welder and your good to go.

U

·
0 Posts
incorrect

Unregistered said:
If the building is seperate from the house you must run a minimum of 10/2 wg. Put a small sub panel in the building, run the receptacles and lights off a 20 amp gfi breaker. Use 12/2 wg and receptacles rated at 20 amps. Put in a designated circuit for your welder and your good to go.
you should run 10-3wg (or larger depending on the load )that panel will be a sub-panel. also lighting cirt. need not be gfci and the recepticales can be res. grade since you have to wrap them anyway, your not going to draw 15A on a single recpt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts