Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have not bid this yet...
I don't know if we should use a stripper / Brightner on this , or just hit with 12% & simple cherry... Also someone got a little close with a pressure washer will those marks show once re-stained? Stain will be solid body & matched close to original, we don't know what products were used, however took some denatured alcohol and some color came off...

Do the walls need to be protected to apply the stripper / brightner or does it matter? Walls will be painted after wood completed.

Thanks for any help on this we don't work with wood alot but want job to be done right :thumbsup:

Here are a few pics, hope the uploads work.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh my god yeah... better hope your color is dark is all i can say.

giving an unexperianced person a presure washer on wood sub like this is like giving a 5yr old a loaded gun....:laughing:

should have soft washed that siding dude... they make products for exterior wood washings...:thumbsup:

rewash it or be sued lol....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I would use Mini Wax stains do not use anything with a sealer, are you staining it the same color? cause if you do you should be fine, I would give the washing of the wood a light spray of TSP then power wash with a 45 tip then let it dry out then restain. Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my god yeah... better hope your color is dark is all i can say.

giving an unexperianced person a presure washer on wood sub like this is like giving a 5yr old a loaded gun....:laughing:

should have soft washed that siding dude... they make products for exterior wood washings...:thumbsup:

rewash it or be sued lol....

WE DID NOT DO THOSE MARKS! LIKE I SAID WE HAVE NOT BID THIS YET...
We will be using low pressure to wash wood & walls. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would use Mini Wax stains do not use anything with a sealer, are you staining it the same color? cause if you do you should be fine, I would give the washing of the wood a light spray of TSP then power wash with a 45 tip then let it dry out then restain. Good luck
WHAT ARE MINI WAX STAINS? We usally use Ben Moore solid body stains for jobs like this, would you disagree?

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
This job begs for a tester. Get some comparable softwood, blast it with a pressure washer and test your proposed products. Then use your research examples as a selling tool with the ho demonstrating your attention to detail, care for their investment, and ultimate professionalism.

·
Registered
100 Posts
since you are using a solid stain then a good washing is all it needs. The heavy pressure washing marks may show up as texture depending on how deep the are. They may just have to live with it but it will look good from a reasonable distance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts