Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ill try not to ramble. i started working for this gentleman about a 2 months ago to be a roofing forman. he was looking to start a roofing crew from scratch. that was a first red flag for obvious reasons, but i rolled with it. first day of working i filled out a w-2 form. i stressed i did not want to be 1099, mainly because i was useing his ladders compressor etc, and i dont have any insurance. pay day comes and he explains he hasnt put me on the books yet. so he just writes me a check. 2 weak same story and on and on. now im only 23, i havnt bean in the bussiness for very long so i guess i trust people to much. so today i started a nice 12/12 pitch roof, and i told him a i need 25 brackets and 11 16' planks, he showed up with about 1/4 of that and told me to make due and gave me a deadline to finish that was real close even if i had everything i needed. so that made me start thinking that im going to get screwed not to mention he has no idea about the work itself hes just a buisenes man. so i called him and stressed that i needed to be on the books. and he said hes going to put me on the books next weak and all the previous weaks he wrote w-4's for, and i did some research and its pretty much the same thing as a 1099. so now im going to probably owe like 600 bucks in taxes. i dont even know how he 1099 me without my signiture or anyhting. not to mention i dont even have liability insurance. sorry for rambiling but any advice would be apreciated. i think i might be geting in over my head.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts