Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fortunate enough to get hooked up with investors and now I'm flipping homes from top to bottom with 8 week time lines.

On top of that they want me doing bids and to be one multiple projects and I can't seem to let go of my meticulous micromanaging at the property because I'm dealing with a guy who I pay @17 an hour who can't seem to notice the details that I notice. And if these details aren't noticed the job isn't done well. I also have 2 other employees who are paid considerably less and I count on my 17 an hour to help direct them but I'm still constantly correcting these guys because my 17 guy direct them well. Also I need my 17 guy to supervise subs! But I realized you have to have an eye for detail in order to this job done.

I just need to free up my time by finding the right guy. Any advice/tips?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm +1 on the pay bump, you want the guy to put bags on get his tasks completed, supervise 2 guys, and deal with subs? 17 an hour ain't worth that headache IMO.

I'm an employee and we have skilled helpers making 17 an hour . All they're asked is to show up and complete the tasks given to them.

·
Super Moderator
24,645 Posts
Two years in the trade & you want him to supervise & run jobs...

For 17 bucks an hour....

Get an experienced 30/hr guy and let him supervise & run jobs while
you bid etc....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two years in the trade & you want him to supervise & run jobs...

For 17 bucks an hour....

Get an experienced 30/hr guy and let him supervise & run jobs while
you bid etc....:thumbsup:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not making big bucks here. Not sure if I can pay that. However, if I do let go of my other two guys go. Keep the guy at 17. And hire one guy at 25-30. It's doable. But id be lacking a pair of hands.

Keep In mind I've only been in this trade for 3 years. I'm still lacking knowledge but I'm a detailed oriented person and can spot certain things and I can see details that many others can't see. I'm not sure if it's about how long you've been in the trade. It's about the person's personality traits and whether he's a detailed oriented person or a relational person etc. my wife failed to land a job because they labeled her as relational person and said straight out to her that relational people aren't detailed oriented.

I'd be happy to bump up my 17 guy. I want to do that. But he's just might not be the guy for the job.

Maybe I should hire a 25-30 guy and sub out more of the work?

·
Super Moderator
24,645 Posts
read his other posts, something's wrong here.... just saying........
Don't get me wrong. I'm not making big bucks here. Not sure if I can pay that. However, if I do let go of my other two guys go. Keep the guy at 17. And hire one guy at 25-30. It's doable. But id be lacking a pair of hands.

Keep In mind I've only been in this trade for 3 years. I'm still lacking knowledge but I'm a detailed oriented person and can spot certain things and I can see details that many others can't see. I'm not sure if it's about how long you've been in the trade. It's about the person's personality traits and whether he's a detailed oriented person or a relational person etc. my wife failed to land a job because they labeled her as relational person and said straight out to her that relational people aren't detailed oriented.

I'd be happy to bump up my 17 guy. I want to do that. But he's just might not be the guy for the job.

Maybe I should hire a 25-30 guy and sub out more of the work?
How can you be a detailed oriented contractor, with 3 years in the trades, doing flips, w/a $17/hr lead guy?...

Refer to post #7....:whistling

·
Registered
Remodel
29,471 Posts
So here's a piece of flipping most don't know about. There are some excellent flip crews out there. Crew boss is good enough to walk in, walk through, give you a verbal remodel plan and budget. Trade is $17 an hour, 12-14 hours a day, under the table. Crew boss would be expected to be able to communicate directions in English, Italian, Spanish, and several other languages - depends on the part of the US they're based out of.

A buddy of mine was a crew boss on one of these, and I ALMOST went with him for one of these just to see what it was like - decided I didn't want to find out that badly:whistling

The person needs a crew boss and a 3-5 man crew. The crew boss has to be on site all the time work is going on.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to get hooked up with investors and now I'm flipping homes from top to bottom with 8 week time lines.

On top of that they want me doing bids and to be one multiple projects and I can't seem to let go of my meticulous micromanaging at the property because I'm dealing with a guy who I pay @17 an hour who can't seem to notice the details that I notice. And if these details aren't noticed the job isn't done well. I also have 2 other employees who are paid considerably less and I count on my 17 an hour to help direct them but I'm still constantly correcting these guys because my 17 guy direct them well. Also I need my 17 guy to supervise subs! But I realized you have to have an eye for detail in order to this job done.

I just need to free up my time by finding the right guy. Any advice/tips?
As it pertains directly to the work involved, there are no magic formulas that I'm aware of, only hard work, either in figuring out all that you need to know and honing the skills needed to perform at a top level, or in educating yourself about various methods and techniques, management skills, business skills, etc. Some of us learn from the school of hard knocks, others get some type of formal training, while others find a mix of both.

Simply stated, the more knowledge and skills you possess, the better you will be able to perform, not to mention typically make better decisions whether it be technical, business, or management. In any case, (and as you're already probably aware) it takes an investment of time.

For a less costly education, I suggest that you read through some of the threads in the business section, which you should find quite helpful; however, you may find the google search feature more helpful than the CT site search.

·
Registered
Custom
13,176 Posts
You've got this backwards... you are thinking that by using inexpensive labor that can only give you an output at $17/hour (and let's assume $15/hour for the other two) which yields you a flip time of 8 weeks, you'll make money... these obviously don't include the trades, but are your laborers...

You want to endeavor to cut that time in half... but it sounds like you are spending too much time supervising and making corrections... that is where you are bleeding money right off the bat... and you certainly aren't going to do it with inexperienced guys being lead by an inexperienced lead who has no eye for reducing lead times...

You need a lead crew in there that bangs it out with the right expectations of what your quality level is...

Run the numbers... As it stands now, you have three guys running a site (one at $17/hour, and let's assume the other two are at $15/hour for a combined $47/hour before load).

8 weeks, assuming 8 hour days (average 22 days/month)
$47 x 8 hours = $376/day
$376/day x 44 days (8 weeks) = $16,544

Now take those same three guys with an experienced lead guy making $30/hour and you go to $77/hour x 8 = $616/day
$616/day x 22 days (4 weeks) = $13,522

Now, add ONE more experienced guy at $23/hour, bringing your crew to one lead at $30/hour, one more experienced guy at $23/hour, your former lead (and future lead in training) at $17/hour and two at $15/hour and your hourly is now at $100/hour or $800/day
But with 5 guys, you should be able to knock production down to 15 days (three weeks).

$100/hour x 8 hours/day x 15 days = $12,000

So I guess it comes down to, would you rather continue doing what you are doing taking 8 weeks, and $16.5K or reduce your turn-around time (which means you can charge your investors more because they have less holding costs), make more money, do more flips per year (12-13 instead of 6), etc... EVEN THOUGH, you are paying for more people and paying them more money...

It doesn't happen overnight, but it comes down to how much you have to invest to get it going.

Your lead guy should be someone who has not just contracting experience but flipping experience, as it is a mixed paradigm...

Best of luck... 8^)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Jacs - How about you tell us about one of your flips - call it a case study. Let's say your investors buy a place for $X. Where does your budget for the next 8 weeks come from? What gets done? Total budget? Tearout the baths and kitchens, or update some finishes? New roofs? Windows? Where do your subs come from?

Where did the $17/hr guy come from? I think it's likely that a $17 guy is going to lead anything, but it would be worth knowing what you think he should be doing.

Etc. I'm curious, anyway.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i pay my brand new laborer who knows little to nothing about plumbing $15 an hour...his job is do dig ditches and drill holes

for $2 more you expect to hire a manager who knows everything......im thinking your paying him 1/2 of what he should make.......and your getting exactly what a $17 manager is...garbage

pay a fair wage and look for someone better....

·
Registered
Remodel
29,471 Posts
Back to the stated issue - it's noticing details. That's very, very vague. That could be a lot of things, anything from demo / build details to interior design details (flooring, counter tops, cabinets, electrical fixtures, color palette,...).

Who knows what type of details are getting missed, the OP never said.

This does sound like a real estate person to me. Frankly, they're running too small a crew and slowing the crew down on top of it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Jacs - How about you tell us about one of your flips - call it a case study. Let's say your investors buy a place for $X. Where does your budget for the next 8 weeks come from? What gets done? Total budget? Tearout the baths and kitchens, or update some finishes? New roofs? Windows? Where do your subs come from?

Where did the $17/hr guy come from? I think it's likely that a $17 guy is going to lead anything, but it would be worth knowing what you think he should be doing.

Etc. I'm curious, anyway.
Edit that post: i DON'T think a $17 guy is going to lead anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts