Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my one guys old lady was runnin around on him and he found out now ever day since he found out hes been comin in late and smellin like a bar room and i told a million times he cant come to work like this but yet he dose he my best guy thoe i mean he my right hand man i just dont know what to do about him

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Fire his a$$

Right hand man or not, if he's coming in drunk (or even 'have been drinking') he's a liability to your company. One accident that he hurts someone else and you're done for.

Especially since you know about it and let him keep working.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Obviously you didn't mean it before. Tell him today that if he shows up drunk again he's fired. Tell him you're sorry about his old lady, but you aren't going to let him throw your business away. Then, tomorrow, when he shows up drunk or stinking of it, fire him.

·
Board&Pipe Stretcher
47 Posts
If he was my best guy/my right hand man, and had been with me awhile, I'd try to get him help. Get him into rehab, something. But yeah, under no certain circumstances can you be smelling like a brewery on the jobsite.

Get him some help if he is that valuable to him, and make do without him in the meantime. Then if that doesn't work you know you've done all you can.

Just my .02

·
Registered
Custom
13,679 Posts
When will you realize that you shouldn't let him work if he's been drinking, no matter who he is, before or after he hurts himself or someone else?

Give him a couple days off to sort through it, but tell him, when he returns, what you expect of him. Then you need to stick to it...

You are setting the standard for the rest of your company by letting your right-hand man work EVEN THOUGH you know he's been drinking...

What kind of message does that send your employees, his co-workers and your customers?...

Guess you get to be "right-hand" man for a few days or time to test his replacement should he not be able to recover...

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
One guy like this can put you out of business before you have a chance to blink.

If he is your best man or you go back with the guy...give him time off to get his personal sh^*t in order and straighten up... If not tell him he needs to find another job, because you cannot have anyone working for you with a hangover, drunk, being late, etc and most importantly get hurt or f'k something up.

I hope it works out.

Good luck

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Same situation just happened to a guy I know. Was the foreman for a small local construction company. Good guy. One day his wife said she was leaving and left him with three kids. Supposedly he never saw is coming.

I wouldn't put up with someone showing up drunk. However I wouldn't throw him to the curve. It would be tough for anyone to show up and even give 70% after something like that.

If he'll lay off the liquor support him and help him work through it. Things like this always take time to heal. If he does make it through he will be one of the most loyal employees you'll ever have because he will always know you stuck with him through the chittiest part of his life.

Sometime what we do should be about more than ourselves and our own dollars and cents.

Readjust your company. Keep him, but put the role of the foreman on someone else and let him do simpler jobs while he's got all this crap on his mind.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Did a search but came up empty handed however,JLC ran an article awhile back discussing distressed workers and injuries. The long and short of it was in no way should a worker experiences sever stress be allowed to work,especially around heights or power tools.

Sorry to sound hard nosed but this situation is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
669 Posts
We all make mistakes, do the wrong thing from time to time!
I would, being a right hand man, good guy so far, PULL him aside, say this is how it is!!! Give him a few days to sort out things, might have done that from what ya said, then tell him, things need to get better, and stop the bad stuff, and look to the future! He needs YOU, as well as you need HIM! He has no own to lean on now but a bar/stool! He needs a shoulder to lean on/a friend to talk to, I think?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
What was said above, minuse the canning him as this wasn't his lifestyle, it's a situational response. Do you need anything done on your house? Support him and have him do something around your house, build you a shed, etc. Don't know if you have shared social circles, but doing things helps. Staying at home getting wasted doesn't help, nor showing up for work wasted.

Maybe tell him to not show up until 10 am, etc.

Reactions: Tom R

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yup, he's got enough on his plate to deal with, so worrying about losing his job is just another thing he didn't need to have tossed on him.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Broke down and cried?

That alone deserves to get fired
Come on man! What's wrong with breaking down and crying? Guess if you've never been there you wouldn't understand...

I've been through similar things... minus the alcohol. It's not easy. There was a period in my life where I cried gallons... but with time it gets better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lose Lose situation

I know you're in a tough spot. But you're running a business, not a charity.

If he can come to work drunk, I'm sure he can be drunk when talking to customers. The last thing you want is people starting to post on yelp that you have drunk employees, or even worse him getting into a fight or otherwise making a fool out of himself.

If he is coming to work drunk, It's not helping him. If you keep on paying him even though he is coming to work drunk that makes it OK for him to be drunk and he will never get his act together. So he loses and you lose if you let him be drunk at work.

Unless he gets into rehab right away and gets a breath check every time he comes in for alcohol and is more dedicated than ever, then fire him.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Come on man! What's wrong with breaking down and crying? Guess if you've never been there you wouldn't understand...

I've been through similar things... minus the alcohol. It's not easy. There was a period in my life where I cried gallons... but with time it gets better.
It's what separates the men from the pussies.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts