Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to redo my deck out back. I know what I want. I need a book to buy for lumber loads. Know a good one?
Right now I have a deck that is 2x6 on 24" c connected to the house and sits on a 4x4 skid. I want to keep the skid idea but add one in the center of the span. Tighten up the centers. Expand the deck in both deirections.
I have read for sheds on skids to dig 18" deep trench add crushed rock or 3/8- and compact. Would this be exceptable for a deck? or would it need to be more permanent?

·
Registered
378 Posts
While the loadbearing capacity of the 4x4 may be ok ,you need to have some sort of ground to deck anchorage to resist uplift. At least a shed has a lot of dead weight to resist uplift,you could install mobilehome anchors(large screws driven into the ground) but this is probally more trouble than digging and pouring a few footings with anchor bolts embedded . Where i live high winds,earthquakes are rare but can and do occur,thus a deck with no uplift anchors would not meet code or pass inspection.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
You're better off to go with cement piers 4 ft. below grade and anchors in the cement (I personally refuse to use deck blocks). I build all my decks with nothing less than 2x8 joists - 2x6 will pass some area's codes but 2x8 make for a better deck and meet or exceed the codes. The O.C. distance depends on the decking material and direction of them - 12 O.C. for 5/4 boards at a 45 deg. angle, 16 O.C. for boards running perpendicular to the joists.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm with Decks on the joists and underpinnings. Springy decks make me uncomfortable.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The deck that I have was built in 1992. I know the code has changed drastily since then. I have no problem with going bigger with material. The issue I have and the reason I thought about skids is the deck is only 4" off the ground and was built on a skid I believe. I haven't really tore anything up yet to really look at closely as this project will be one of the last things I do. If pouring a footing and fastening is what is needed then ultimately that is what will be done.

Also if I decide 2x6 there will be span support in the center to compensate for flex. :Thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts