Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing a large flat roof in a up coming job, with the level of the drive into the building you get a clear view of the roof of the structure and thus the client is looking for a clean look for the roof.

As such im looking to minimise the size of the fasteners to make the roof look clean and professional. I was looking into something like this

http://www.ejot.co.uk/Building-Fast...ers/Opticore-JT3-12-5-5/p/JT3-12-5_5_Opticore

It perfect to attach the roofing to the steel section, however I was wondering if someone new of a product which has a low profile at the end. I want the roof to look like one smooth section with no fasteners exposed.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Your substrate is steel and you are adding iso and what membrane to the top of it?

Im not sure why you would have fasteners exposed in the first place.

Those fasteners seem like theyd be an asswhip if you ask me. Constant perfect amount of pressure and consistency on every screw to get them to actually do what they are supposed to do. Not to mention you have to patch the top of every hole.

Maybe Im misunderstanding something.

What roofing system are you installing?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
More details are needed. Is this a metal roof? When you say flat, I think EPDM,TPO,PVC, bur.

Wait, is this a spam my link post? Anyway I'll bite.

TO fasten ISO in to Steel or Wood you uses these http://www.olyfast.com/product-details/product/asap-threep.html?language=en Plastic for single ply metal for hot.

To fasten in to concrete you use these http://www.olyfast.com/structural-concrete.html?language=en Few different options.

then teh membrane goes over and glued down. If your mechanically attaching the membrane (single ply only) http://www.olyfast.com/product-details/product/two-inch-plastic-locking-plate.html?language=en depending on the insulation thickness.

Now if your doing metal roofing ( it doesn't work on flat roofs) http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.aspx?itm=SSHW-118&gclid=CLTp2_mOpL0CFbBj7AodoDsAfg These ones have drill tips for going in to metal structures. They have ones for wood also.

Now if you want a good metal roof just put on a standing seam, no fasteners can be seen with them.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I'm still wondering where there's exposed fasteners on a flat roof with iso.? ?

I read this post about 14 times cuz I didnt want to sound like a dumbass when I replied,
And all I gathered was it has a steel deck, there's iso then some unknown membrane, assuming tpo or epdm. With exposed fasteners that actually pierce the membrane, cut a hole in it, and still doesnt fasten the membrane down?? Why not just fasten the iso down with it and then put the membrane on? .. oh the flat roof is not flat its possibly a 1/12 or 2/12..

I'm so confused rt now. I feel like I'm retarded. How the hell does that fastener fasten the iso down.

Ps, 1985 I got this one first boy, u must be slippin! Madrina= 1 1985= 75, 568

I'm catchin up, watch out!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Renegade said:
How can you recommend any fastener when we have no idea what he is fastening down?
IDK I was just having fun taking a guess. I think I covered most bases, Guess I could have included Gyp and Teck decks... Plus I'm pretty sure he was just spaming a link

madrina said:
I'm still wondering where there's exposed fasteners on a flat roof with iso.? ?

I read this post about 14 times cuz I didnt want to sound like a dumbass when I replied,
And all I gathered was it has a steel deck, there's iso then some unknown membrane, assuming tpo or epdm. With exposed fasteners that actually pierce the membrane, cut a hole in it, and still doesnt fasten the membrane down?? Why not just fasten the iso down with it and then put the membrane on? .. oh the flat roof is not flat its possibly a 1/12 or 2/12..

I'm so confused rt now. I feel like I'm retarded. How the hell does that fastener fasten the iso down.

Ps, 1985 I got this one first boy, u must be slippin! Madrina= 1 1985= 75, 568

I'm catchin up, watch out!
Now you confused me, I must have been doing it wrong all of these years!!! I wonder if they make wood tites 5-12" long!

Yeah you got it first. I'm still waiting for another story from you like the vent boot repair, I got a new monitor since the last one died from the pop I spit all over it.

I like the beer cap and eyelet fastening system. I prefer to use Miller lite bottle caps, they have the ATSM 8675309 rating. Good for 90 MPH winds for you non tech people out there.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
That's a good idea! The bottle cap was really just for size comparison. But think of all the money we would save using them as piranha plates. Not to mention how happy the crew would be. Wo. That's a great repurposing idea. You should put that on pintrest!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That's a good idea! The bottle cap was really just for size comparison. But think of all the money we would save using them as piranha plates. Not to mention how happy the crew would be. Wo. That's a great repurposing idea. You should put that on pintrest!
Pintrest for roofing stuff? My wife is on that crap getting dinner ideas. I'm not complaining. she is though, she say to me "I don't understand how you have gained 20 pounds". Gee IDK could have been the the 3 extra helpings of spinach artichoke pasta with extra butter sauce and 3 pieces of garlic bread... :laughing:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Oh yeah pintrest is really amazing. Especially the repurposed items section. People are turning doors into shelves and wine bottles into chandeliers. ... its overwhelming brilliant creativity with a hint of skilled tradesmanship.

I can't even stand to look at more than a few pages at a time.. it gets me too ampted up and I just start painting chit and throwing glitter on every thing. .. its like p**n for women.... no its like p**n for the whole family.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Oh yeah pintrest is really amazing. Especially the repurposed items section. People are turning doors into shelves and wine bottles into chandeliers. ... its overwhelming brilliant creativity with a hint of skilled tradesmanship.

I can't even stand to look at more than a few pages at a time.. it gets me too ampted up and I just start painting chit and throwing glitter on every thing. .. its like p**n for women.... no its like p**n for the whole family.
Other then the food items I have no interest in it. All it does is become a project for me to make.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts