Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lady that I have been working for on and off for 10 years took off to visit her daughter because the old man is about to die I hate to say. She wants me to start taking care of a 23,000 gal pool. When I saw it was really green. Anyway to be honest I don’t know anything about pools but I did start pumping the water out but it stopped at the skimmer or where the filter is which is may a foot down or so. OK I figure this a standard setup and my question is can I pump the water out with the existing pool equipment or do I need to just rent a gas powered pump. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Sean
5,514 Posts
Go get the water tested - they will tell you what chemicals you need to add to clear it up - there are very few reasons to fully pump out a pool

You may also have to replace the filter or sand after it is fully cleaned out, either write down the info or snap a few pics. They also have test strips to help keep the chemicals at the right levels

If you need to fully pump it out - an electric pump works fine - the regular pool equipment is not meant to do this

Check with the local city officials because some will nail you big time for letting it run in the streets or into the storm water system

·
Bruce
15 Posts
And by all means dont run the pump down with the skimmer valve open, if you ran that pump for any length of time after the water dropped to the bottom of the skimmer, you may have already damaged the pump....it gets hot,ruins the shaft seal, then a $7 shaft seal allows chlorinated water (when you get it blue) to run past the shaft seal and get into the front bearings of the pump, which rusts them and in a little while you get a squealing pump and eventually it will simply seize up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts