Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son will be graduating from high school the summer of 2014.
I don't think he has any interest in going to college. I've been trying to push him towards the trades especially plumbing. I told him that plumbers in general make a good living and there's plenty of work.
Am I giving my son sound advice or am I wrong somewhere.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If he has the aptitude I'd go as a Sparky and or low voltage control systems.
Yeah with any luck your son won't turn out anything like myself. :laughing:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The only interest he seems to have is in music. I just don't think you can make a living at that unless you become some kind of rock star.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Tinstaafl said:
Anything you push him into, he probably won't do all that well at. Does he have any discernable interests? Workwise, that is. :laughing:
My thought exactly. What does he want to do?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
The only interest he seems to have is in music. I just don't think you can make a living at that unless you become some kind of rock star.
Like Tin & Clayton said if he has no interest what ever you try & shove down his throat will not be well received.

It can be very tough to do, but when they hit that magic 18 year old mark they are on their own & usually not bashful about telling you.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Coincidentally, you just described my oldest at that age. He has a helluva singing voice.

He made sandwiches at Panera for a while, did one semester of college and went back to Panera. It became obvious even to him that was going nowhere, so he joined the Air Force for a free college education.

The discipline has done him good. He's in Hawaii right now, well on his way to a bachelor's degree. :thumbsup:

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
People will always need to sh!t and they think they need hot water so that demand will always be there too.

Screw being a electrician, plumbers are better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pretty hard to get the youth interested in a trade of any kind. Its pretty hard to get them excited when you say "Im going to pay you $10hr or less, Im going to work you in the ground and, if you dont cry too much I will let you do it again tomorrow... now here is a shovel. Get to work!!"

Not real appealing to most. If you can convince him to jump in with both feet. TRY to learn the trade and not just collect a paycheck, it really does pay off in the long term.

If you have any family/friends in the industry, have him talk seriously to that person about it.... Its fed me and mine for a long time and is a good route to take for some.

www.professorplumbtx.com

·
Registered
819 Posts
im 43 and am having physical issues (my back/knees)....yet i have 20 more years to go...it can be a hard life physically

i would not recommend it for my son...he has asked if he can work with me someday and take over the company...i told him NO and that i will be selling the company and not giving it to him....i want him to have an easier life and not have a broken body

the $$ is very good if you own your own company....if he's going to do it id push him to get his Masters License as fast as possible and go on his own ASAP....i remember seeing some of my old bosses invoices sitting on kitchen countertops...i saw he was making $300 an hour off me and yet he argued about giving me a 50 cent raise once

in my area its all union...and the union gives you extra points for being military...so if he were in the Milwaukee area id tell him to give 4 years to the army and then come back and apply....

the union seems to like people a bit older...18 year olds tend to quit once they find out its hard work....during my apprenticeship i remember shoveling pea gravel 7 hours a day for a month.....not many 18 year olds will put up with that

they tend to like people in their mid/late 20's....and the ex military guys are always at the top of the apprentice list...

they aren't really hiring either right now...its better than a couple of years ago..i don't think they even had an apprentice list for a year or 2...

id demand he go to college and become a doctor/lawyer

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I would go for a doctor. There are alot of poor lawyers in Michigan. Never seen a poor doctor. And doctors are more respected then lawyers. Plus with the aging population endless work in th future.

·
PROcrastinator
160 Posts
My son will be graduating from high school the summer of 2014.
I don't think he has any interest in going to college. I've been trying to push him towards the trades especially plumbing. I told him that plumbers in general make a good living and there's plenty of work.
Am I giving my son sound advice or am I wrong somewhere.
I would just make sure he has an interest in it. I believe in the saying: "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

I think plumbing is a great trade to get into but one has to have an interest in it.

See what he seems to have a natural interest for.

Adam

·
PROcrastinator
160 Posts
I would go for a doctor. There are alot of poor lawyers in Michigan. Never seen a poor doctor. And doctors are more respected then lawyers. Plus with the aging population endless work in th future.
Sorry but I Totally disagree. I think doctors and lawyers are about in the same boat. I know/knew a few Doctors that lost it all. Not the money it used to be.
But then again I'm in Michigan. Everything sucks here.

If he does go to college. Don't mess with any student loans.. They can be deadly. Can't claim bankruptcy with those either. Follows u for life.

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,442 Posts
My mother wanted us to be a priest, a doctor and a teacher ... Got an artist, a racer and me ... I suggested for son to be a dentist and got environmental engineer ... so…Let him to decide..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts