Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water heater is leaking, the control valve is frozen. After 25 or 30 years, it is time to replace it.

I am thinking a tankless might be the way to go. I need 10 or 11 GPM. My water supply line is 1/2 inch. My natural gas line is 3/4 inch. What else do I need to know? What is a good brand, USA built, not chinacrap.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
fireguy said:
My water heater is leaking, the control valve is frozen. After 25 or 30 years, it is time to replace it. I am thinking a tankless might be the way to go. I need 10 or 11 GPM. My water supply line is 1/2 inch. My natural gas line is 3/4 inch. What else do I need to know? What is a good brand, USA built, not chinacrap.
Stay with a 40-50 standard. You'll be much happier.

You won't be getting 25-30 years out of a tankless.

Pretty sure every tankless is manufactured over seas. I don't know, never installed many and I'm not very active in the plumbing trade anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
tankless brand takagi tk2- or Morpheus we put in over 100 of them years ago. You need a dedicated gas line in most cases or you want have the volume- they burn at 150k btu or so, it's been a while.

20-30 years out of tank is never going to happen again, it must be a hoyt.

My advice, buy a tank at home depot, the ge's are made by rheem. All these new tanks have too much safety stuff in them, parts can be hard to get if in a pinch, if you buy one at hd you can always just return it for a new one, if under warranty.

·
Registered
819 Posts
do you want to spend 3x the $$????

if the answer is no then you want to keep your standard heater

you will need a new dedicated gas line from the meter...most likely you will need a new meter too

cant believe someone said to get a Home Depot water heater....everything at HD is a cheaped out version......if you look closely at most of their products you will see B Grade stamped on some of them...their plumbing supplies are lesser quality

get a Rheem or Bradford white tank unit

if you have $3,500 to spend then get the tankless....hire a plumber and see what brand they prefer....get one of the new 98% efficient ones

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
Seven-Delta-FortyOne said:
What you doin' these days? Besides chasing skirts, of course. :eek:
I'm selling/installing wood boilers, cutting and processing cord and boiler wood. Building green houses and year round gardening. On top of that I buy/sell stuff and maintain a few properties I own.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,482 Posts
I'm selling/installing wood boilers, cutting and processing cord and boiler wood. Building green houses and year round gardening. On top of that I buy/sell stuff and maintain a few properties I own.
Sweet!

I'm really into wood-fired boilers. I hope to install my first this year.

You installing Greenwood boilers?

·
Registered
44 Posts
do you want to spend 3x the $$????

if the answer is no then you want to keep your standard heater

you will need a new dedicated gas line from the meter...most likely you will need a new meter too

cant believe someone said to get a Home Depot water heater....everything at HD is a cheaped out version......if you look closely at most of their products you will see B Grade stamped on some of them...their plumbing supplies are lesser quality

get a Rheem or Bradford white tank unit

if you have $3,500 to spend then get the tankless....hire a plumber and see what brand they prefer....get one of the new 98% efficient ones

Rheem makes the ge water heater at home depot. It's not going to have the brass fittings, I'll give you that. The reason I suggested home depot is this. 10 years ago or so, all the manufacturers had to swith over to fvir. This was a nightmare. T-couples and t-stats were no longer universal. Bradford white parts only worked with bradford white parts. These components at the time failed more often than not.

So if your not a plumbing contractor, or lets say you are and install rheem or ao smith. If you don't have the parts in stock, what do you do? You call the wholesaler and prey they have the parts. What if your a regular person? Do the supply houses sell to non-contractors, usually not. So, my suggestion is to buy a tank at home depot, if it fails, rip the tank out and get a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Locke Supply if you have one, grab a Bradford White. Parts are available and they are great in my opinion. I have installed probably hundreds of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts