Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blasted a car part mold today using soda but it was too aggressive and took off some of the design. Is there anything out there more gentle than soda? The company is measuring this to a very fine degree.
Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
I blasted a car part mold today using soda but it was too aggressive and took off some of the design. Is there anything out there more gentle than soda? The company is measuring this to a very fine degree.
Mike

have you tried a lower pressure?

If you turned the pressure down and ran water to soften the cutting action you should be right.
What are the moulds made of?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The company wanted me to use 90 psi to see what it would do over time . I told them that we should use lower pressure to the point were it would remove the coating. What hapened is it has low and high grain in the mold and it would dull the high grains.The low grains are dull and the high grains need to stay shinny.The mold is aluminum and is used for dashboards.They will not let me use water.They asked about talc I have never used it. Do you think it would keep the shine?Were would I buy talc?
Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
The company wanted me to use 90 psi to see what it would do over time . I told them that we should use lower pressure to the point were it would remove the coating. What hapened is it has low and high grain in the mold and it would dull the high grains.The low grains are dull and the high grains need to stay shinny.The mold is aluminum and is used for dashboards.They will not let me use water.They asked about talc I have never used it. Do you think it would keep the shine?Were would I buy talc?
Mike

Hey mate at the end of the day your going to have to put your foot down and do it the way you want to do it and if that means blasting it at 40psi so be it i cant see the issue with using water you can always blow it dry.

I do the same sort of thing but the moulds are used in the styrene industry and i blast them at 40-60psi with the water ring.

But at the end of the day you cant defy physics if the coating is harder then the substrate there isn't much you can do this sounds like a job for a chemical

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I think Ausi Is right on. They came to you after all. Ask them for a couple of sample molds so you can play around. Hit one with water and if it looks good to you show them and let them decide. I don't know what you meant by seeing what 90 psi would do over time. What would time have to do with it after its blasted?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I use to shoot aluminium boats to remove the old paint and it does leave a slight dull profile at 90 psi aluminium is very soft

·
Rick
86 Posts
Hey Mike,
Have you tried shooting some media that has been shot once already,
That seems to soften it up a bit also, I havent shot any talcum but shot soda is pretty fine and pretty soft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts